Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Hello from London

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hello

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been keeping fish for over 30 years. I got into fancy pleco about 14 years ago and it was Gold Nugget that started the "fever" and that was when zebra pleco was selling at a very expensive price of around $50.00. Then I stayed away from actively collecting them for about ~five years now. Recently I got interseted in L046 again found that they are very hard to get but can be had for a lot more expensive than it was five years ago. Can anyone bring me up to speed of what happened? Hopefully I can get a few from Kyle. I still have the following pleco:

L024- Redfin-Cactus-Cat
L056- King Tiger
L075 Para pleco
L091 Triactis
L102 Snowball
L114 Red tail Leopard
L128
L018 or L177
Adonis
L200
xingu Royal Pleco
L204
Clown Pleco ~ 13 years old.
and a few more that are not in my Aqualog book I bought in 1996. outdated??!!

I have thank the site creator for this web page and Plecofanatic for provide essential/interesting informations on these lovely creatures.

Beside Pleco, I also keep a variety of rainbow fishes, gold face compressiceps, "Mimpimbe' Frontosa", tetras, Dennison Barbs , black Ruby bards, clown loaches.....

thanks

Leong

#2 steve-o

steve-o

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:06 AM

Welcome to the board and that's a lovely collection you've got going on there.

#3 kyle

kyle

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Well this much we know for sure. In Dec 2004 the Brazilian Government banned the zebra pleco from being caught or traded. The ban levied very stiff penalties for anyonone breaking these laws.

Now there is speculation as to why the zp was banned.

1) Some believe that the gov't felt the zp was threatened to extinction by export to the hobbyist and also a hydro damn being built on the same river as where the zebra plecos live (Rio XINGU). Although the zp is still not on the CITES list and some say the zp population was never studied in the wild by the gov't.

Others believe
2) That the gov't wanted their take in the trade of zp and other fish and animals by creating a tax that hasn't been imposed yet.

Others believe
3) that the Brasilian government wanted to update its list of spp. permitted for export and put things on hold until the list was complete. Which is an impossible task to inspect fishes especially in this part of the world where new species of plant animals and fish are being discovered on a daily basis.

The export banned for an indefinate period of time for the wild caught ZP. Some believe that the ban may be lifted and export will begin again, but at this point nobody knows for certain. In the meantime we are left with zp that are still in the hands of the hobbyist either wc in captivety prior to Dec 2004 or new F1 from local breeders making them very rare in the hobby coupled with high demand.

Im not an expert on this topic this is just a few pointers I picked up lifes travels.

Input welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users