Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

How to Adapt New Plecos

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1938 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:31 PM

New plecos can be a thrill or a heart breaker. Many if not most come in to the the stores with thin to sunken in bellies. They have not been fed properly if at all for up to several weeks. Avoid buying fish with badly hollowed stomachs as they are often to a point where they can not eat. Over the past few years I as well as many other hobbyists have learned a lot more about them. But mostly at a high cost. What I have learned is as follows. The ordinary Bushynose that has now been tank raised for many years is very tollerent of conditions and will even breed in a temperature as low as 70 derees F. Never put newly acquired wild plecos into a new tank setup. Use an established tank with old water. The temperature should be about 86 degrees F. or at the high end of the temperature range for the species. Most plecos do not take too kindly to disease treatments. However there are three that I can recommend. Melafix and Pimafix as well as a little known or used one from my bag of tricks. Hydrogen Proxide 3% at the rate of 2 mil. per gallon stops shimmy on even fry without harm and can clear the grey haze off tetras over night. It will also boost the oxygen in the water temperarily.
  • Arthurcex likes this

#2 seanmc

seanmc

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:53 AM

Great advice! Thanks Charlie!

Can you recommend a good fancy pleco for a beginner?

My son has decided he really likes plecos now. We already have a breeding pair of BN plecos, so we have at least one BN pleco in most of our tanks, and have recently added some common (i.e. cheap) plecos to a planted tank (rubbernose, clown).

We also have three sailfins (one marble, one ablino, and one "normal") in separate (larger) tanks.

I'm leary of spending a large amount on "fancy" plecos that may not aclimate well or that are too difficult for "novice" pleco keepers.

I quite like the Gold Nugget types, the "blue" types, or any kind with white polka dots, but don't want anything that gets too big (like the sailfins!).

I know that you breed "Inspectors", do they travel well and/or are they OK for newbies? Any other recommendations?

Thanks again - Sean

#3 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for that post Charlie, great info!

Sean, I met Cahrlie a few months ago and purchased a group of 8 inspectors from him, all about 3/4 to 1". They were very easy to care for (knowing that they are carnivores) I feed them lots of sinking shrimp pellets, baby brine, etc. They;ve been thriving and growing (although slowly) over the past 2 months with not 1 loss yet. I threw a couple BN fry in with them as well and well I think they beat the hell out of one of them the other night :S. They do hide a lot but are very easy to care for!

As for the gold nuggets, they can be a bit tricky. I've had a bunch, had a couple die, but have a 3" and a 6" doing great right now. Picking up 5 more tomorrow, hopefully they will do just as well. If they make it a few months I will prob sell a couple of them if your interested.

There are a fair number of fancy plecos around the toronto area, just takes a little looking. Mike at Finatics has a number of L;s in stock. There are a bunch of breeders such as Charlie that are breeding all sorts of neat stuff too! Personally I think the locally breed stuff is the way to go! They are used to the water and feeding so WAY more hardy.

Take care,

Rich

#4 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1938 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

A good pleco is a type that only grows 4 to 6 inches. Check with Planet catfish for size and what a fish eats as well as temperature required. Hardy and cheap are Clown Plecos and Rubber Nose and stay at a 4" size. But are difficult to nearly impossible to spawn. Inspectors are not too difficult and require water in the mid 80's and meaty foods. Mine are now eating Hikari Carnivore Wafers in addition to other foods.

#5 steve-o

steve-o

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

I really like the king tigers and white seam plecos, not sure what you consider pricey but these guys were my most expensive purchases (white seam was around $30 and king tiger around $40) But they're absolutely stunning

Rich, keep me posted on the gold nugs please as I've been trying to find a healthy specimen of at least 4-5" with no luck.

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1938 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:03 PM

I really like the king tigers and white seam plecos, not sure what you consider pricey but these guys were my most expensive purchases (white seam was around $30 and king tiger around $40) But they're absolutely stunning

Rich, keep me posted on the gold nugs please as I've been trying to find a healthy specimen of at least 4-5" with no luck.

Lots of times white seam L-183 and Starlight L-182 come in mixed. With White Seam both male and females have a white edge on both the tail and dorsal. Starlight only have white on the top of the tail and look like they got sprinkled with salt. If you watch some forums you may come to the same conclusion that I have that half the people do not have what they think they have. If they say they spawn easy they probably have L-182. With the L-183 in two years and at least 6 spawns I have finally got 1 fry. At the moment I have about 100 L-182 starlight nearly 2" long for sale at $10.00 each they are fairly fast growers. I also have 50 king tigers that will be ready to go in anothe month or so.

#7 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

I picked up my big GN from Dragon and it's been doing great, I now wish I had picked up more :(

Charlie, wow, you've got tons of little buggers again! I may have to come pickup some of those L66's when they're ready.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#8 steve-o

steve-o

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

Cool Bwhiskered. Mine has the white along both fins and has the white spots all over it's head/bristles. Where are you located? I might want to pick up another couple of kings in a couple of months.

#9 klc

klc

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

Dragon had a couple of smaller Gold Nuggets last weekend. They were about 3" long. They may still have a few if you're interested.

#10 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

Dragon had a couple of smaller Gold Nuggets last weekend. They were about 3" long. They may still have a few if you're interested.

He is in Burlington

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#11 klc

klc

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, to many Dragons. I was referring to Dragon Aquarium in Mississauga.

#12 mktorn

mktorn

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

Hi there,
Klc, would you recommend to buy the fish from Dragon Aquarium in Mississauga? I have been seeing a lot of sick discus in tanks there. That scared me to buy any others from them.

Sincerely,
Michael

#13 klc

klc

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hi Michael: I have excellent luck with the discus and plecos from Dragon. Their selection is usually some of the best in the GTA. I'm very surprised that they had dead fish in their tanks. Their stock is normally very healthy and energetic. Bottom line, if you don't like the look of the fish, don't buy them. It's not worth the risk.

#14 mktorn

mktorn

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Thank you, klc.
I bought a nice 3" L026 from Dragon last Sunday. And now it is in QT. I worry if it is ok, since it almost doesn't move, stuck under sponge filter all time when I can see it. It eats cucumbers and zucchini that I feed it for overnight, but seems not very much, as I can see. Is it still in stress? What I should do to comfort it more?
QT description: 5 gallon with 84F. Sponge filter. Daily 10% WC with water from discus tank. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael

#15 wasnnabefishguy

wasnnabefishguy

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi guys, i'm new here and have a question for you... I recently picked up a L-75 para pleco that I haven't seen, nor have I seen him eat since I put him in about a week ago(what do I do)!

Thanks,

Stephen

#16 markenyvonne

markenyvonne

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

congrats with your L75,its a real beauty
they prefer greenfood and vegatables,and are good algaeeaters to
you havent seen him because they very good in hiding like most pleco's
and they are more active at night
are the other fish in your tank doing well,then he is probably doing well to
feed him after the lights are out
when you have lots of hiding places in your tank you just might not see her a lot
good luck with him/her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users