Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

PH differences in two tanks

#PH #pleco #uaru

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

Question for the pros: two tanks,two vastly different ph. Why? Tap water is ph 7.6 around 170ppm.

46 gallon: 9 sub adult L134. 30% wc twice a week. Very light feeding. Heavy filter and flow rena xp3, large sponge filter bare bottom tank 180ppm

PH is close to 7.9

135 gallon: heavily stocked, sub adult uarus, geos, scobi and para plecos. 50% wc twice a week. Overfiltered with eheim 2217 and rena xp3, Alita airlines, sponge filter. Bare bottom tank. 170ppm

Some how the PH is close to 7.0 in this tank.
I don't know how lol. I'd rather the 46 be that low but my 135 is thriving either way.

Long story short, why? Maybe because the filters on the 135 are full of bio media? Something to do with the feed? Waste being created by the uarus? These aren't problems, just pleasant surprises, would like to understand why, thanks for anyone who can read and explain. Cheers

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2117 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

A lot of things could be changing PH. Substrate, driftwood or type of rock. Some fish will have a tendency to change water to suit themselves.

#3 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:09 AM

From past experiences driftwood can be one hell of a problem especially when it has been used for a long time! But basically any of the things Bwhiskered mentioned.

If you have a deep substrate you can build up gas bubbles of acidic gases that when released cause the ph to lower.  (Most common in saltwater but definitely happens with freshwater too).

When the nitrogen cycle takes place the ammonia being converted through nitrites and into nitrates also lowers ph so heavy feeding can cause the dropping too. 

Start eliminating the factors one by one until you figure it out.  

#4 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:21 AM

Someone elsewhere recommended driftwood as well. There Isn't much for the size of the tank, but yes it is old driftwood. No substrate in the tank.

The heavy feeding idea I didn't know about. Maybe that combined with lots of large wc is dropping the ph

#5 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

When the nitrogen cycle takes place the ammonia being converted through nitrites and into nitrates also lowers ph so heavy feeding can cause the dropping too. 

I'm thinking its the nitrifying bacteria. I should have mentioned I have 3 x 2217 and one rena xp3 on this tank,all full of media because I'm getting them going to setup on other tanks. So as you mentioned I think that's the issue. Thanks guys

#6 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

Glad you sorted it out!

#7 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members