Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Battery Back Up/Surge Sentry

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

Been having surge issues in my place with my moron neighbor renos

Looking at getting a battery back up, something that can keep the 300w heater and two eheim 2217 running for a couple hours if needed.

who is running off a UPS battery backup or something similar? what do you have/what should I look for?

thanks in advance

Mike

• Leslieer likes this

#2 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

That's a good question.... I'm interested as well. I originally set up a large computer type UPS but i don't think it had the capacity to power  much past 15 minutes. The only option that I know of for aquarium use is the Ecotech Vortech Battery backups but I think its an expensive option. And I think they only advertise them operating one of their pumps for something like 30 hours.... no mention of powering canister filters, etc.

I'm in a fairly stable hydro grid but regardless....sheet happens so the one thing that I have always thought about purchasing was a battery operated air pump..... should really get one.

I also think a good practice is to have at least one sponge filter in a tank, as if the power dies, then you can unplug your canister filters so that they dont automatically start when power resumes and get an ammonium dump. Yet the sponge filter will maintain a stable amount of BB. So with a battery powered air pump and sponge filter, the tank should be good for awhile. I dont think there is any power source, other than a generator, that would supply enough juice for heaters. I could be wrong.

If you are worried about power flucuations then there are good surge suppressor/UPS combos out there.... APC is a good brand.

#3 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

No Battery backup will last hours running that without spending huge money. Grab a battery air pump. I use to run one on every tank. They took a couple D batteries and flipped over to battery mode instantly when power went out. Ran for a long time too. I would t worry about heaters or power filters for a few hours. Its not going to effect much. Only thing that’ll last a while is a generator, but again they’re loud unless you spend some bucks for an inverter one.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#4 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

I'm in the city and longest I've gone is 6 to I hours without power.

Been on the lookout for a generator and got one from a friend for a case of beer. It is super loud though but in the case of an emergency I'd use it.

Sounds like Rich's idea might be the best.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

#5 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

Hurricane 5 Air pumps - all that I use for all my tanks in my office and home! The battery recharges when the power comes back on and you can set it for continuous operation for 32hrs of use or 1 min on/5min off settings to conserve power to make it last for over 48hrs. No UPS will even power a canisterfrer never mind a heater as I’ve looked into this and it’s unfeasible even with the most expensive collections. I’m lucky to have the funds for apower generator that runs on Natural Gas and cycles itself every month (Kubota - 10KW from Costco).

Air Pod sells a nice 4 D cell operated pump as well with 2 outlets and output controller.
  • jimmy chonga likes this

#6 manuel coelho

manuel coelho

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

I may have 1 or 2 APCs that I no longer need.

Both in excellent new condition.

Send me your number for pictures.

#7 kkaamm

kkaamm

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

I have been using airPod air pumps for many yrs。They can run for as long as 100 hrs。

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171218_121520.jpg
  • 20171218_121441.jpg

#8 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback all
Talked to an electrician today at work. We were installing a couple apc/ups combos for the servers at the restaurant, he said the same as rich in that they won't power a large heater for more than a couple minutes.

The hurricane 5 pumps look good and strong. $200 a piece and look like a great option to run airlines and sponge filters.

The air pod pumps I question how they would do on larger tanks/longer deeper runs? I need it for a 125g

As posted the other option is a generator. Smaller models cost more than a 1000. I could put it outside on my balcony in case of a power outage, is gas powered and looks like the only option that can power all the filters/air pumps heaters.

Well time to wait for a boxing day sale it seems

#9 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

It’s the air pods I have and they work. Its circulation. Not tons but they work. You can get smaller portable generators for way less then a grand. I bought one a few years ago from crappy tire for $400 on sale and have used it a lot. Not real quite but whatever. Tank of gas lasts like 12 hrs and is 10 or so litres. You could run all kinds of heaters and what not off it.

Our new house will have a full house propane generator tho. As soon as the power goes out it flips to the generator.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#10 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:10 AM

It’s the air pods I have and they work. Its circulation. Not tons but they work. You can get smaller portable generators for way less then a grand. I bought one a few years ago from crappy tire for $400 on sale and have used it a lot. Not real quite but whatever. Tank of gas lasts like 12 hrs and is 10 or so litres. You could run all kinds of heaters and what not off it.

Our new house will have a full house propane generator tho. As soon as the power goes out it flips to the generator.

end of the day I got the same, bought a 5000w max load generator from cdn tire for less than 400 all in a few months ago, I've already had to use it twice as my area of toronto is prone to power outages, plus my house is as well from wind damage from trees

this thing is a beast, powered all filters, heaters, air pumps etc no problem on minimal gas. I just leave it covered on my balcony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users