Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Altum Tank

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

Okay I can't hi-jack Curtis' thread anymore.

Im HOPING to have at least a 120g 4x2x2 tank going sometime in the new year, or if Im real lucky, my 10' tank (but I doubt that ones going to happen).

Im for sure going to put some Altums in, maybe 6???

Plecos...  Im still a sucker for black and yellow, 105's, out of reach, so maybe 177's (5-6 of them).  Maybe a panaque Gold Line or 3.   Hypans aren't really my thing, Ive had a tons of them, and never see them unless theres 50+ in a tank, maybe its just me though.

Corys...  Something that can handle hot temps, suggestions? (I know sterbai can without issue, but what else can?)

Tetra,, Id prefer tight schooling ones, but I know the Altums just eat cardinals, not sure if Blood fin tetras can handle the temps...  Done rummy's before, maybe again...  dunno yet.

Recently saw on FB some Albino Whip tails (Charlie) they would go well I think in this mix.

Hatchet fish of some sort I think are a must (15-20 of em)

Let me know your thoughts please, its been one heck of a long time since Ive started from scratch!  Yikes, Ive not had to cycle a tank in prob a decade or more...   just a few good squeezes from an old sponge filter and good to go.

• Geraldpa and Leslieer like this

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#2 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:41 AM

I'm rather obvious on the gold and black front, sunshines! colombian tetras school well in large groups and are super hardy imo. keeping on the yellow front lemon tetras are good too. high temp cories? hmmmm

#3 Chouin

Chouin

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:10 AM

Gold Line L27 are very Nice!  They have been on my wish list for a while, but no place at the moment...

Maybe some L273 ? I really do like the ones I have, but they are shy.

Like Jimmy wrote, L14 is a good idea, in the range of 8-10'', they look great !

As for tetra, there are so many to chose from, Lemon have been one of my favorite, always have some in a tank!

For cory, I will let Curtis help you, he always have some nice ones !

125g: L007, 3x L24, 3x L114, 2x L160, L190, 2x Adonis

125g : 3x L25, L81, 2x L114, 2x L160, L200

125g : Mega Barrae, 3x L24, L106, L177, 2x L273 Yellow, 3x L273 red, L425, L600

75g: 
50g: 2x L160, L257, 4x LDA33
Montreal (Quebec)

#4 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

Cories: eques, wietzmani, haraldschultzi (Sterbai on steroids), CW45, robustus, Super arcuatus, gossei, Seussi

Tetras: hyphessobrycon margitae, Matae, Imperial, emperor, black neon, red and blue Colombian, bleeding hearts - regular and flameback, gold tetras, blue tetras, lemon/orange tetras

#5 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

I thought Weitzmanis like it cooler?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

#6 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

I like L14’s a lot. Wish I never sold my big big ones. They were always out and about. Never found that with smaller ones.

273’s have had several not really interested in more.

Lemon tetra, would they not become altum food? I like them a lot, only ever had a small school of them many many years ago. I’ve had a lot of the tetras mentioned in fairly large quantities and found very few to school tightly.

Cory’s will prob happen later on, I really don’t know my Cory’s at all :(

Totally want to get some of those black or very dark blue rams that Charlie is working on as well!

Rich

CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#7 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

My Altums ate all my cardinals and rummies over a period of a month. You won't know it at first as they were very stealth like. I did not actually see them picking the smaller fish off. Then you realized the size of the school was getting smaller. Ooh well.... it was for a good cause, the well being of the Altums :).

However, I did see an Altum chased down a baby zebra and ate it :sad:. Shortly after that the Altums were "Rehomed".

Edited by carkichi, 16 November 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#8 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:42 AM

Rich, do it do it do it.......

Put fish that you will be happy with........after all you will be the one enjoying it all the time.

I second what Carklchi said about smaller tetras, plecos and  ottos being a snack. I wish i had recorded what i had witnessed when they ambushed a school of tetra. 

As far as  Tetras disappearing, it is an easy fix. Just order another 200-300 of each Tetras from Curtis to replace what ended up being food.....I do it all the time.....

#9 Chouin

Chouin

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Colombian tetra are nice if you want a big species.I had 12 a couple of years ago, they stayed together pretty much.

Bleeding hearts are very nice, but mine don't school at all !

Tried emperor in the past, a nice tetra, but didn't school...

125g: L007, 3x L24, 3x L114, 2x L160, L190, 2x Adonis

125g : 3x L25, L81, 2x L114, 2x L160, L200

125g : Mega Barrae, 3x L24, L106, L177, 2x L273 Yellow, 3x L273 red, L425, L600

75g: 
50g: 2x L160, L257, 4x LDA33
Montreal (Quebec)

#10 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Cories for warm tanks:
Eques, haraldschultzi, gossei, oipaquensis, robustus, wietzmani

Tetras: stictus- red tail, gold tetras, bleeding hearts- regular or flameback a, hyphessobrycon Matae, margitae, Imperial, emperor - amphioxus,lacortei, Palmeri, kerri, kerri blue, glowlites, Black neons, buenos airies (they grow large) and congo tetras.

#11 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

I really like my lemons, had them for about 6 months now and the colours are really nice

#12 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

Was chatting with my buddy today (plumber helping me out).  We are doing basically a 3 car garage with in floor radiant heat (powered from a propane hot water tank), with living space above (will be where we live this winter while house is built), then it will be my office/my space.   This is where I'll have probably my one tank.   Now to the cool part.....   Im thinking of running another line off that hot water tank under the aquarium to heat it.   It comes out of the hot water tank at 150 degrees (but i can dial that down), would be able to keep a tank at 88 degrees for essentially nothing. Radiant heated aquarium!   Anyone ever tried that?  I don't see how it could go wrong, and holy crap so much cheaper then plug in heaters that just break ever few months and no hydro.

As for fish, I had a school of a few hundred cardinals from Curtis before as well, loved it.  rummy's as well...   they look awesome in big schools.   I guess really if you have to buy a few hundred every 3-4 months not a huge deal.   Or get like 500, and throw them into the display tank 100 at a time.

Emperor tetras didn't even school in my 10' tank (at least 100 of them).  Just a smattering of them all over the place.  Bleeding hearts I've had and they didn't school well.

Congo's are real nice once they have some age on them, but kind of doesn't go with the SA for everything else.

Carklchi, I'd be so pissed if I saw one eating a zebra baby!    Im kinda tempted to get some of the L236's from Lukan (they're looking so nice) but funds, and gotta get at least 6-8, and never see em in a big tank.

Cory's I still like CW45, figures, the more pricey ones.

Rich

emailsig.png

#13 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

synaptolaemus-latofasciatus. Very hardy and eats everything. They bother each others only, no injuries inflicted. I keep them in 84F. They don't school though.

#14 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

Carkichi. YES YES YES. Been on my want list for so long

Rich

emailsig.png

#15 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

I know :).

#16 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

wow, wow,.....   got this pic of Facebook just now..

23844721_1932933870360456_5020343154691740213_n.jpg

Rich

emailsig.png

#17 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1949 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

I thought Weitzmanis like it cooler?

My Weitzmani like it cool. Caudimaculatus like it hot. 

#18 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:10 AM

Hemigrammus coeruleus

Very cool.

http://www.aquariumg...us-coeruleus-2/

http://www.aquariumg...8_1014D0014.jpg

Edited by carkichi, 05 December 2017 - 01:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users