Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Water changes, how much is too much?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Just something I've been wondering recently as I'm one of those people who is lucky enough to NOT have to pay utilities ie water or hydro on my house/apartment.

How much is too much?

I currently change 50% on both tanks once a week. My 125g is rather heavily stocked and I find the geos just need it

Would it be overkill to to do that 2-3 times a week? Is there a risk of crashing the beneficial bacteria in the filters? Potential chlorine damage to the fish?

I add water at tank temp, while adding prime

All the fish love it and are super active following wc. And just something to do at home during the cold winter months

So, can I change 50% 2-3 times a week, why or why not?

thanks

Mike

• Geraldpa, Leslieer and Albertmaw like this

#2 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

Changing water more often isn’t necessarily bad, as your B.B. is in your filtration. I guess the question comes down to how much is too much from a waste of water standpoint. The other thing to keep in mind is water changes are stressful from the standpoint of large parameter differences..... potentially. I think you would be better doing 20-30% twice or three times if that’s your goal. Fresh water more often with smaller fluctuations is better.
  • jimmy chonga likes this

#3 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

A daily one third change for a week can be the trigger to get some fish to spawn. Once or twice a week is about normal.

#4 Chouin

Chouin

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

A friend of mine have all his tanks on an automatic system (drip) that change approx 15-20% daily. The water goes in a carbon filter and directly in his tank.

He was breeding discus in the past, and now L114, L46, L201, L134, L144, L129.

All the fish are very healty.

125g: L007, 3x L24, 3x L114, 2x L160, L190, 2x Adonis

125g : 3x L25, L81, 2x L114, 2x L160, L200

125g : Mega Barrae, 3x L24, L106, L177, 2x L273 Yellow, 3x L273 red, L425, L600

75g: 
50g: 2x L160, L257, 4x LDA33
Montreal (Quebec)

#5 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

A friend of mine have all his tanks on an automatic system (drip) that change approx 15-20% daily. The water goes in a carbon filter and directly in his tank.

He was breeding discus in the past, and now L114, L46, L201, L134, L144, L129.

All the fish are very healty.

I have a few tanks on a drip system. They are mainly used as grow out tanks. With a drip system yo don't get nitrate spikes like you can with large water changes. 

#6 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3008 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:29 AM

I use to run about 20-25% daily on drip systems.  Never had any problems at all with anything.  Any future tanks I setup will 100% be on a drip system.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#7 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

I do close to 90-95% water changes. Yes you read that right. 90-95%. Enough water just for your fish to stay on its side. The only restriction is when my fish spawn in a condo cave then i do less.

Caveat: Only do as much if you are confident with your Biological Filters.

If you want results then push the envelopes....balls of steel baby......

#8 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

I also do 90 percent at least twice a week. It's definitely do a lot but I feed the tanks pretty heavy. Any tank with fry gets fed twice a day

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

#9 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted Today, 06:31 AM

Changing water more often isn’t necessarily bad, as your B.B. is in your filtration. I guess the question comes down to how much is too much from a waste of water standpoint. The other thing to keep in mind is water changes are stressful from the standpoint of large parameter differences..... potentially. I think you would be better doing 20-30% twice or three times if that’s your goal. Fresh water more often with smaller fluctuations is better.

Hmm, I'm running two larger canisters on my 125. params stay pretty good, ph and nitrate changes would be the major concern?

I have a few tanks on a drip system. They are mainly used as grow out tanks. With a drip system yo don't get nitrate spikes like you can with large water changes. 

I never think of nitrates as anything other than waste product of the cycle, but i guess its true that it is a relevant part of the cycle that can affect fish health

I do close to 90-95% water changes. Yes you read that right. 90-95%. Enough water just for your fish to stay on its side. The only restriction is when my fish spawn in a condo cave then i do less.

Caveat: Only do as much if you are confident with your Biological Filters.

If you want results then push the envelopes....balls of steel baby......

I also do 90 percent at least twice a week. It's definitely do a lot but I feed the tanks pretty heavy. Any tank with fry gets fed twice a day

I was waiting for the big changers to chime in, probably largest I could do at a time was 70%. you guys do this big of a change weekly, bi-weekly? using prime or safe? I would think with large panaque youd have to go big

#10 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted Today, 11:15 AM

I do a large water change every 3 days, sometimes every 4 days. I switched over to safe a few years ago and haven't had any issues. It last so long

#11 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

If you can change large water with parameters staying stable then there is nothing wrong with it. But then it begs the question..... what is the reason For changing so much if parameters are good? Usually large fish create large waste.... yup.... need to get rid of that but waste in itself doesn’t require large water changes. All in all you want to aim for stability..... regardless of amount of water being changed.

#12 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

I am told by a ardent pleco breeder in the states that 3 big cool water changes in a row will get most plecos to spawn. That could be a good reason to change lots of water.

#13 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

I agree. That would be a valid reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users