Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Northern Ontario Driftwood

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

With the spring coming around, just asking some questions about driftwood. My parents land/water is an old sawmill from the late 1800's  

if i can get a big enough piece I'm going to experiment with drilling some holes as I've seen another member do

Got a piece of cedar driftwood, but it was too soft, and less than a year later the plecos have all but chewed it up. I know on the land there is sunken pine, hemlock, oak, cedar, maple. Obviously the harder woods will make for longer lasting driftwood

Questions: anyone have experience with these?

should I boil before putting in the tank or just leave out in the sun for a week?

thanks

#2 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

Tried just about everything.  Pretty hard to tell what is what once its been in the sun for a decade or so or under water for several years.  I have NEVER boiled wood before, never will either.  Just because they are eating it in a year or 2 isn't a bad thing.   Its what they do.

Anything that has been in the water for a bunch of years and isn't floating will more then likely be just fine. Hit it with a hose on high pressure to try to clean off the mud and toss it in the tank.

Freshly cut wood is an entirely different story.

• jimmy chonga likes this

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#3 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1938 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

I never boil driftwood. If it is dirty I scrub it with a brush under the tap. Some I get that is water logged in my cottage lake and some comes from the shores of Lake Ontario and Erie. Some is put in a water barrel in the yard where it can take up to a couple of years to sink. Some plecos even like to hang on to floating pieces. Some make good caves if you drill them.

• jimmy chonga likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users