Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Others not appreciating your Plecos

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

The other routine I do for my qt is I add a cube of Poly filter and a Catappa leaf and change them out regularly

#22 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Hope things at the airport go well for you tomorrow

#23 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

How are the discus doing? Everything go well with the shipment?

#24 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Ya.... sorry.... all 8 are great. Healthy and are pigs. I was able to feed them out of my hand only after 3-4 days with beef heart and blackworms. It's kind of cool to have them come up to the front of the tank and wait for you when they know food is coming. Here's a few pics..... sorry they are the greatest because of the daytime glare
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

They are only 4" fish so the colours should only get better as they grow. I'm also surprised that they like the current from the powerhead as much as they do but they will come over and play in it and then putter around. 7 of the 8 are pretty social. The smaller pigeon blood blue is fine around feeding time but he will sometimes become shy a little bit. I probably like the Marlboro Red and Kobalt the best so far for colour.

#25 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

Ya they look great. Glad things are working out
  • matt likes this

#26 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Yeah I know there are different methods and I think the method may also change a bit depending on the fish. For my plecos they go into a Rubbermaid container that has a seeded sponge filter, wood and caves at 28C. Then after qt I scoop and add them to the tank. After talking with Spencer from afishinaidos on the qt subject I have decided to back off on my deworming mess as a matter of course and just qt longer. 

I'm stealing this method next time I get WC plecos. Always struggle with qt as I'm low on space and the two tanks I have are active. Would prob work with a seeded HOB filter too, I have a couple extras kicking around. How long you leave em in for? a week? feeding thera a?

I love discus, those look nice...... would want a dedicated tank for em. going with some uaru for now

#27 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

Yup... a seeded HOB work be good too. Any food grade plastic bucket works as a QT tank. I generally QT for 2 weeks unless I have reason to believe it should be longer. Yes, I feed Thera A, and add the Poly Filter too.

In a perfect world I would have a dedicated Discus tank but the wife says theres a limit. Plus I dont want to take care of multiple tanks.

Its barebottom with only wood, Java and Anubius. I run 2 Fluval FX6 filters with an air pump. It gets large water changes.

I love having the Plecos in with the Discus..... I made this decision after watching many pleco/discus tanks on youtube and how others did it.

#28 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:26 AM

Yup... a seeded HOB work be good too. Any food grade plastic bucket works as a QT tank. I generally QT for 2 weeks unless I have reason to believe it should be longer. Yes, I feed Thera A, and add the Poly Filter too.

In a perfect world I would have a dedicated Discus tank but the wife says theres a limit. Plus I dont want to take care of multiple tanks.

Its barebottom with only wood, Java and Anubius. I run 2 Fluval FX6 filters with an air pump. It gets large water changes.

I love having the Plecos in with the Discus..... I made this decision after watching many pleco/discus tanks on youtube and how others did it.

cool thanks. ya I see more and more bare bottom tanks. my 46 is but my 125 isnt. always concerned it would mess up the feeding habits of my geos/cories..... but ive been considering it more and more just for ease of cleaning

ya I guess those two species are very similar for preferred ph/temp etc

#29 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Couple more.... little closer.... hopefully better photos:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

I think my problem is not appreciating your discus, don't get me wrong- they're beautiful but that doesn't change the fact that the first fish I noticed in two of the photos was the little Panaque :lol:

• Romulous and matt like this

#31 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

I think my problem is not appreciating your discus, don't get me wrong- they're beautiful but that doesn't change the fact that the first fish I noticed in two of the photos was the little Panaque :lol:

Ha ha..... I hear ya! No worries. I love them all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users