Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Others not appreciating your Plecos

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

So here is what I have noticed, as I have expanded my Pleco holdings.....

I have collected, what I deem, is an interesting collection of armoured catfish.... L330. L014, L91, L134, L200, L128, L204, L066, L183, L260, L018, Royal Farawellas, Rhadino Macro, Calico Longfins and looking to acquire a couple more that are on my wish list......... but here's the thing.....

No one else finds these guys beautiful...... ok.... my daugher loves them but my wife and others just find them "ugly prehistoric fish"..... what the hell is wrong with people? Is it wrong that I can watch these guys for hours (slight exaggeration) and find them feeding ultra cool? Granted....... they don't glow red and orange or blue but these guys are amazing!!!!!

I have 8 Stendker Discus coming in in the next week so maybe they will like them...... actually ..... screw them...... the Plecos are still beautiful in my eyes!

Thanks for this forum and letting me vent!!! :waaaht:

• jimmy chonga and davej like this

#2 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

That's ok -  I am no longer handsome anymore either but at least I am handy! I walk in the room with my wife and people say what the HE!! all the time!

Once they see my children they know that I have good genetic potential and I am low maintenance.

Hence why I like plecos, I am just like them, under appreciated but interesting!

• Romulous and matt like this

#3 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

Lol curtis. If your not into fish people do not usually like or understand plecos. My wife is the same, "you spent that much on that fish" :)

Thankfully after a few years she doesn't even ask or care anymore.

What strain of stendker did you order?
  • matt likes this

#4 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

I've ordered 8 Stendker (direct from Germany) from discus paradise in Quebec.... coming in the end of this week. Can hardly wait!

#5 Romulous

Romulous

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:41 AM

Matt bud I understand completely ...... they are either something that really catches your eye or something that people think are poop eaters . I love the plecos man and there are enough of us around LOL 

• jimmy chonga and matt like this

#6 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Matt,
post pics of those discus once they colour up! If you need help doing the clearance pm me and I'll get my broker on it! Discus can be trickier to import than plecos.

#7 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Curtis,

Thanks for the offer but I'm not doing any clearance. I've purchased 8 different strains from discus paradise in Montreal. Cedric gets them from Germany this week and then straight to me. Getting cobalt, checkerboard, tefe, brilliant turq, pigeon blood blue, solid green turq, solid fire red and leopard snake skin. They are 4" so my understanding is at that size they won't be full colour yet. I'll be putting them in my 65g for QT and then in 3-4 weeks they will join my bare bottom 180g community. Will make to post them in a separate thread when they arrive.

#8 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:46 PM

lol ya. i find I have to keep "attractive" fish just so when friends and family visit they have something to look at. most people like the altifrons, my dad always stares at the striped SD's 

then I point out the plecos and they are all "OH" 

the wife names them, I think mostly to keep track of them, and always asks if I brought home more everytime I visit big als  :secretsmile:

who cares what others think, its our hobby, and our fish and we love em, better spending money on this than out every night drinking or gambling

• Romulous and matt like this

#9 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

Yea.... the good thing about the "ugly" fish is that the wife doesn't notice the new ones. And in a couple of weeks when they come out more and she says "where'd that one come from??"..... I say..... "he's always been there"..... hee hee

• jimmy chonga and Romulous like this

#10 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Yea.... the good thing about the "ugly" fish is that the wife doesn't notice the new ones. And in a couple of weeks when they come out more and she says "where'd that one come from??"..... I say..... "he's always been there"..... hee hee

lol ya happened last time all 3 of my L14 were out..... "when did you get those other 2?"  oh long time ago..... (like a year)

she called me on buying caves...... "its so you can get more and they will hide on their own"...... LOL

#11 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

#12 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

I can relate to all the stories.

Plecos are underappreciated for sure.

For me i can't lie about sneaking in fish/pleco because they come in by the box. Thanks to my "Pusher"........

One thing i can say though is that my wife and kids love and enjoy watching the baby plecos. They see them starting from eggs to wigglers to fry then a mini version of the parents. Then the hard part comes when i bag them to be shipped or picked up. They always ask me if the baby plecos are gonna be okay?

Matt, those discus are gonna be nice. Hmmmmm, Altum Angels would look so nice in that tank....just saying

• Romulous likes this

#13 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

I can relate to all the stories.

Plecos are underappreciated for sure.

For me i can't lie about sneaking in fish/pleco because they come in by the box. Thanks to my "Pusher"........

One thing i can say though is that my wife and kids love and enjoy watching the baby plecos. They see them starting from eggs to wigglers to fry then a mini version of the parents. Then the hard part comes when i bag them to be shipped or picked up. They always ask me if the baby plecos are gonna be okay?

Matt, those discus are gonna be nice. Hmmmmm, Altum Angels would look so nice in that tank....just saying

Ha ha..... you're right but we all have to pick our poisons..... discus will be mine.... for now! Plus my credit card is smoking so gotta ease off for awhile and appreciate the beauties I got!
  • Romulous likes this

#14 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Did your discus come in?

#15 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Did your discus come in?

Off to the airport tomorrow!! Woohoo!

Will post them after they get settled into QT.

Pretty psyched!

#16 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

That's awesome. How are you going to acclimate them?

#17 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

They will be going into a 65g with a seeded sponge filter and also air stone at 84F. Will start by giving them wc every other day. Feeding both prepared beef heart mixture and NLS discus pellets pre soaked. Will leave lights off for a week and then start to blend them into the 180g lighting cycle. Plan to qt them 3-4 weeks. Always open to any advice......

#18 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

That sounds good. I'm always interested in how people handle fish right after they unbox them. Like if you plan on floating the bag and then put the fish right into the tank. Seems like what alot of people are doing.

I know when I get fish I usually float the bag for and then put them in a bucket and start adding water from the aquarium, then scoop out the fish to the tank. Maybe what i do is not necessary or best practice.

#19 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

I would probably only keep the light off the first day, would definitely need to see the new fish :)

#20 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

Yeah I know there are different methods and I think the method may also change a bit depending on the fish. For my plecos they go into a Rubbermaid container that has a seeded sponge filter, wood and caves at 28C. Then after qt I scoop and add them to the tank. After talking with Spencer from afishinaidos on the qt subject I have decided to back off on my deworming mess as a matter of course and just qt longer. For the discus I will be changing my approach just a hair. I will dip the bags to equalize temp for half hour. Then I will slowly slide pour each bagged fish into a sterile flat bottom plastic container. Then I will pick up each fish by hand and carefully place them into the qt tank.
  • jimmy chonga likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users