Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

New to the Canada Pleco forum!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pleco_Finatic

Pleco_Finatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

Just wanted to start off by saying I'm not new to the hobby, but I am new to keeping plecos. I had a L190 back in 2006, and that's pretty much the only fancy (or pleco for the matter) I've kept since. Not due to lack of interest, but rather I was already keeping a few other species of fish, and didn't have to room/parameters to add a pleco.

I've set up a new all pleco tank (or at least a pleco focused tank) and I'm now slowly putting the finishing touches on it (adding more driftwood, and still deciding between cardinal or rummy nose tetras as tankmates).

Hope to get a chance to speak with everyone here, and learn as much as I can about the husbandry of these awesome endless L number catfish!
  • Albertmaw likes this

#2 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Welcome. What plecos are you thinking of getting? How big is the tank?
  • Pleco_Finatic likes this

#3 Pleco_Finatic

Pleco_Finatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

Welcome. What plecos are you thinking of getting? How big is the tank?

Thank you!
I currently have 75 gallon growout (48"Lx18"Wx21"H) for now. Planning upgrade to a 120 gallon when the time comes. Thinking of going with either a Baryancistrus.demantoides or a L177 gold nugget. I've also been looking into L134 plecos as well. Would it be okay to have more than one pleco in the 75 gallon for now? The specimens I'm looking to purchase are near the 3" mark.

Will also have a small school (10-15) of either rummy nose tetras or rasbora hengeli as tankmates.

#4 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

Ya it would be fine for several plecos that size and a school of fish. 75 gallon is a great size to start with. It was my first major aquarium after my initial purchase

#5 Pleco_Finatic

Pleco_Finatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

Ya it would be fine for several plecos that size and a school of fish. 75 gallon is a great size to start with. It was my first major aquarium after my initial purchase

Cool. How many plecos do you think I can house in a 75? 3 plecos?

Got some Malaysian driftwood coming in a couple of days, as well as some Indian almond leaves.

As for food, I have Northfin Veggie Pellets 2mm, Northfin Kelp Wafers 14mm, Northfin Krill Gold 1mm (supplement food because the high protein content), frozen shrimp/prawn, cucumber, zucchini, and carrots.

#6 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

Depends on size and how many water changes you want to do. A group of 6 to 10 L134s would be nice with regular water changes. If you grow them out and your patient they will probably breed for you.

Food will depend on what plecos you get. Some prefer veggies and others are carnivorous.

#7 Pleco_Finatic

Pleco_Finatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

Depends on size and how many water changes you want to do. A group of 6 to 10 L134s would be nice with regular water changes. If you grow them out and your patient they will probably breed for you.Food will depend on what plecos you get. Some prefer veggies and others are carnivorous.

Ah I see. With all my current tanks, I do weekly water changes of 20-30%. On the 75 gallon I have ready for the plecos I'm running 2 Eheim 2215s.

Will definitely check the species profiles to see which combination of plecos work well together (diet and temperament wise).

#8 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

welcome to the addictive word of plecos!

L134 are nice, but a bit shy imo. if you have no intention of breeding there are alot of possibilities for a 75 gallon. L200 and L128 are really nice flashy fish, might end up a bit too big for 75, but would be nice in a 120. L137 are great and not shy, so are L14, all love veg but are omnivores in my experience. as Dis said check parameters temp, feeding etc before choosing

good luck you're in the right place

#9 Pleco_Finatic

Pleco_Finatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:50 AM

welcome to the addictive word of plecos!

L134 are nice, but a bit shy imo. if you have no intention of breeding there are alot of possibilities for a 75 gallon. L200 and L128 are really nice flashy fish, might end up a bit too big for 75, but would be nice in a 120. L137 are great and not shy, so are L14, all love veg but are omnivores in my experience. as Dis said check parameters temp, feeding etc before choosing

good luck you're in the right place

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Definitely addictive (just like when I had "betta fever" and kept & bred numerous wild species bettas), already dreaming of possible species I want to keep in the coming years.

Definitely have no intention of breeding just yet. Want to learn a lot more about the husbandry of plecos and take my time to enjoy caring for them, before I get into the breeding scene.

There's 2 stores in my area that have good prices on gold nuggets (either L018 or L177, will have to confirm), as well as very good prices on L046 zebras.

#10 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

Welcome! its addictive to say the least! :waaaht:

#11 Pleco_Finatic

Pleco_Finatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:42 PM

Welcome! its addictive to say the least! :waaaht:

Thanks, and yes plecos are most definitely very addictive haha! Already dreaming how many different species I want to keep, but so many species and not enough tanks lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users