Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

A Good Read on Zebra Plecos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2021 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

http://www.reef2rain...-cites-listing/

#2 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for posting.  Very interesting.  

#3 Gehandylan

Gehandylan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

I have reproduced below an extract from this article ......

"It's been over a decade since wild-caught H. Zebra could be legally obtained in the aquarium trade"

I have seen older posts relating to WC Zebra Plecos on this and other forums. Some on 'for sale' classifieds as well. Does this mean that we have knowingly or unknowingly been a part of the smuggling chain and actively supported and sponsored the smuggling of Zebras? Is this not illegal? From what I've read there is a ban on Zebra exports in Brazil since January 1, 2005. Have I have misunderstood the above-mentioned extract? Is there a more plausible explanation?

#4 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

The laws have changed many times over. For the past several years there was legal export. Now it's changing again and I believe export of zebras out of brazil will be banned again

#5 Gehandylan

Gehandylan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

That would render the information on the article as incorrect/invalid.

From what I understand (I could be wrong here), the ban that came into effect on January 1, 2005 still stands. WC Zebras are being smuggled out of Brazil via neighbouring countries. The difference now is that Zebras got on the CITES Appendix 3 as of January 1, 2017. This listing requires proper documentation when Zebras cross borders between CITES countries thereby making it difficult to smuggle.

Would be interesting to hear the expert opinions of WC Zebra importers in this forum.

#6 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

Ya I read the article a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it was legal to export and for us to get them. Everyone had them (LFS and importers) and at good prices so don't think they were all smuggled. There is one direct importer on the forum that could shed some light on this....

#7 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:36 AM

Zebras that you see at LFS have been legally obtained.......they can not enter the country without proper documentation.

Any animals/fish placed on CITES does not mean you cant obtain them. You just need the proper documentation to do so...

Proper documentation means more paper work which equals to more man hours which equals to more $.

#8 Gehandylan

Gehandylan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Thanks fir your respobse Lukan.

I understand clearly the CITES appendix 3 listing and the requirements that came into effect as of January 1, 2017.

The issue is as per my understanding from this article and others I have read, there has been a ban in effect on Zebra exports out of Brazil from January 1st 2005. It is not a secret that Zebras have been smuggled out of Brazil using its neighbouring countries. I don't think that there was any other way to obtain WC Zebras post January 1, 2005. I am yet to find an authoritative source stating that this 2005 export ban on Zebras that Brazil put in place has ever been lifted.

CITES listing that came into effect as of January 1st, 2017 makes smuggling from the neighbouring countries to other countries that much more difficult via the stringent paperwork requirements. The 2 issues are quote different.

Have we been supporting the smuggling chain by trading in WC Zebras since January 2005? May a question for CITES authority in Canada or Brazil to respond to so that it is absolutely clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users