Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Getting fish to breed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2021 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

I have noticed that my L numbers and some of my corys have been reluctant to breed. I first thought it was them being lazy but after much thought and some research I found out that it was me. When my corys and L numbers were spawning great I was changing a lot more water in their tanks. Over the last couple of years that slowed down to only once a week. That resulted in a saving on the water bill but little or no spawnings. So I did some research as to why my L-46 Zebras had only spawned a few fry twice and missed last spring completely. My search came up with this article http://www.zebraplec...opic.php?p=4635 I followed Barbie's recommendations and gave the zebra tank a 1 third water change with cool RO water every evening for a week. After only the third change a male caved up and a female joined him on the fourth. I continued to do the water changes for another week but as the TDS had dropped below 50 I premixed pails of RO water to read about 50. This morning was my reward as I can see a few fry wiggling above the male in his cave. I hope I can keep him spawning for the winter.

My Corydoras weitzmani  have not spawned in 3 or 4 years. Again at the OCA Convention Ian Fuller suggested multiple water changed to trigger corys to spawn. Come to think about it that is what I did years ago when I first got them. A week of cool water changes some with RO and some with cold tap water. After a few changes daily I got 5 eggs. A couple of days later 17 and today 32. Remember it is not the fish that get lazy it's you.

This should work for just about all L numbers and cory cats. Keep them in hard tap water at the top end of their temperature range for 6 weeks. Then lower the temperature a few degrees and the give daily 1 third Ro water changed for a week. I would not let the TDS go much below 50 Although some rivers can be as low as 10  

#2 Altum Nut

Altum Nut

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

Great read Charlie and happy to hear of your multiple spawns.

I have a group of 9 L134 I got from Rich many-many years ago and always wanted to do the same as I do with my discus but never had enough R/O to go around.

I think I should give it a try...only if there are both ladies and gentlemen in the glass box. 

Glass Box is Marte's trade mark...Lol

...Ralph

#3 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:52 AM

Interesting... I think high heat 30-33C (recently learnt) and strong current will also be needed to stimulate spawning. Thanks for sharing Charlie.

Edited by carkichi, 14 December 2016 - 03:52 AM.

#4 mike

mike

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

Good read! Ill be sure to try not to get lazy on the water changes lol

#5 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Agree! :)

In addition, once they are spawning and have them on a good cycle study it so it can be duplicated. Also, remember that they will pause for about 3-4 months after spawning for 8-9 months continuously.

Ralph, I think you have all studs in your " Glass Box ".

Always learning something new for Bwhiskered aka Charlie!

#6 Altum Nut

Altum Nut

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Ha-Ha Marty...it may just be so.

Will a girlish stud work...Lol

...Ralph

#7 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2021 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

Finally confirmed that there are at least 4 zebra fry in the cave. I finally got a quick peek as the male was busy trying to keep the female from entering the cave. She obviously is ready to spawn again.

• Romulous likes this

#8 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Yeaaa :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users