Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Is there any females in this batch of L46?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mike

mike

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:52 AM

Only one that seems to be maybe a female is the light coloured one at 7 o clock.

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeR.jpg

• ScottPhedy likes this

#2 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:54 AM

Doesn't look good. Maybe someone else will chime in

#3 denzky

denzky

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

Ive seen theres a few female there but there color kinda there having stress...watch them

#4 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

Are these WC or TR?  There are 2 possible females.  The one you mentioned and the one facing it.  The rest are 99.99% males.

Here are 2 females on the left and a male to the right from my WC breeding group.  BTW, coloration has nothing to do with how to sex them (stress or not stress).

L46_Trios_CR_1.jpg

#5 mike

mike

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Hi these are not mine but just trying to find out if there are any females in the batch. They are WC.

#6 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:12 AM

WC ones tend to be heavy on males to start with.  In addition, some of the places that are selling the WC L46s have been known to withhold all the females for themselves and only ship out males.

#7 mike

mike

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

WC ones tend to be heavy on males to start with.  In addition, some of the places that are selling the WC L46s have been known to withhold all the females for themselves and only ship out males.

Hi thanks for your input, so should i try to acquire females by getting wild caught juvies 4-5cm? I have had really bad luck getting males left and right.

#8 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:09 PM

That's what I did when I got my 20+ WC L134.  They were no more than 5cm and took 3 years to get them to breeding size.  They turned out to be about 1:2 male/females ratio which is perfect.  In fact, my L134s are also in peak breeding season, got 3 spawns so far and another one just yesterday.  They have been sharing the fry tank with my L174 but is getting overcrowded so they will be going in with the L397 fry tank.  Or I move the L174 frys with L46 frys and give the entire tank to L134 frys.  Either way there will be too many frys and not enough tanks.

Here is an old video of L134.

https://www.youtube....h?v=5HJa6XhA-Ec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users