Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Uaru

cichlid #uaru

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

Hey guys, figured I'd ask the pleco keepers. Picked up 4 juvie Uaru from the local LFS. Cool fish, lots of personality so far. I've read conflicting reports online as to what to feed them, some say mostly veg, some a mix of meat and veg. So far they are meh over flakes and veggie pellets and went nuts over frozen brine shrimp the other day

IN my 46 gallon at the moment with leopard frogs, 81f wanna get em grown quick and moved over to the 125

any advice on care and feeding is appreciated thx

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2021 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

I have never had Uaru but I understand they should be treated much the same as Discus.

#3 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:59 AM

Ya find a few things they like to eat and feed well with lots of clean water. Fish always take longer than we want to grow so patience goes a long way. Goodluck

#4 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:37 AM

I had some uaru fernandezyepez a while ago. Much more hardy than discus and water regime like regular fish. They will not do well with fast moving fish (Silver $$, barbs...) as the others will out compete for food. They ate all type of food especially leafy green.

#5 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

http://www.reef2rain...poor-mans-uaru/

#6 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

thx got em in with my L134 so temps are up around 81-82f. seem to enjoy green pellets more than flakes. cool little fish, I like they way they all hang out together, not really schooling, just cooling :) doing weekly changes of 1/2 same as my big tank with the geos and plecos

#7 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

I had some uaru fernandezyepez a while ago. Much more hardy than discus and water regime like regular fish. They will not do well with fast moving fish (Silver $$, barbs...) as the others will out compete for food. They ate all type of food especially leafy green.

Oddly enough I see some panda uaru out there. Interested in them, did you keep them in tap water or adjust pH?

#8 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

My supplier acclimatized them to tap water. PH around 7 and Temp 84F. They love to eatT etra Color Tropical Granules and most other fish food.

#9 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

My supplier acclimatized them to tap water. PH around 7 and Temp 84F. They love to eatT etra Color Tropical Granules and most other fish food.

Ah OK Oliver has some.
I don't pH adjust. Tap water is 7.4-7.6 maybe too high for them

#10 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:59 AM

I think Curtis is getting some on next week

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users