Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

L397

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

Finally got around to upload the video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DYRcJrA0g3E

• ScottPhedy likes this

#2 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

Nice! A lot of fin flapping..... happy Poppa!

#3 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

Good work! Congratulations!

#4 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

Yeaaa, nice. One of the few breeding reported in NA. What is you water parameter and Temp?

#5 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

A very attractive pleco. Good luck raising the fry.

#6 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

That's an old L397 video, frys are all grown up and they are super easy to raise (just add wood).  If I have time, I will get some new videos for them, However, the L174 has started their breeding season and I typically expect around 20 to 30 spawns in succession in a 3 months period (as many as 5 spawns together) so that would keep me really busy as the frys are super sensitive and take a lot of attention to keep them pass the vulnerable stage.  In fact,  the first L174 batch just left the cave and now all over the tank with frys from previous batch.  Is going to be a real pain to catch them later to keep them from competing with the younger frys that are yet to come.

Here is one of the old videos on L174.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Fr5XB-9LX8w

#7 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

My 174's have not yet started to breed yet this season. One fat female is hanging around between the caves of 2 males. How are you triggering yours to breed? 

#8 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:08 AM

Is not a trigger like turning on a light switch.  It is more of a process and method that bring them to fruition.

#9 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

I find a series of good water changes usually bring spawnings on.

#10 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:24 AM

Is not a trigger like turning on a light switch.  It is more of a process and method that bring them to fruition.

So....what is your process so we can learn :) and have our L174 and L397 spawn like yours.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

#11 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

Good food (no...I don't use Repashy) and great water conditions, couple with some Berry White music to get them in the mood.

• matt likes this

#12 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

What is  your water parameter for the following?

PH?

Temp?

TDS?

#13 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3023 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

That's an old L397 video, frys are all grown up and they are super easy to raise (just add wood).  If I have time, I will get some new videos for them, However, the L174 has started their breeding season and I typically expect around 20 to 30 spawns in succession in a 3 months period (as many as 5 spawns together) so that would keep me really busy as the frys are super sensitive and take a lot of attention to keep them pass the vulnerable stage.  In fact,  the first L174 batch just left the cave and now all over the tank with frys from previous batch.  Is going to be a real pain to catch them later to keep them from competing with the younger frys that are yet to come.

Here is one of the old videos on L174.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Fr5XB-9LX8w

Plural and singular is FRY.  You eat frys, they are not fish.  Sorry BIG pet peeve of mine.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#14 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:07 AM

Just had to laugh at the digs and pokes on this thread!

#15 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

Since Leisure Man is not willing so I reached out at another at a different Forum in UK. She responded within an hour with her success:

" I don't really have a secret, I started with a group last year got them to adults bought them from a friend, obviously the first group was F1s related so when my friend was selling the WC parents I bought the group. I've not had to do anything to alter water chemistry as they were locally bought and bred in the tap water which is best suited to rift lakes! PH 7.8 Ammonia 0 nitrites, nitrates less than 20. Water change 10-15 % cool water.

I have 3 males 3 females started with 4 pairs. Seems there's only two active breeding males, the size of males is about 11cm and 12-13 cm for females, total length. For some reason they are smaller in adult size to the first group. temp is about 30 it went to 33 in the summer when they bred the most. Current is strong external filter outlet along the back powerful internal at and along the the front.The tank is bare bottom almost always unlit they are not disturbed very often filtration is Eheim pro 3 for a 140 litre tank. I use 13 cm triangle caves from a shop called Orwell aquatics in UK, they ship internationally. I use enough caves for all, what I've observed is females will cave as well as males. I've seen a male leave a cave wait for female to go in and trap. Males often move caves. Also females fight over males, seems to be a trigger in the breeding process observed this with my first group also. All the caves are under wood so they've got a lot of cover, most people don't but I position some of the caves perpendicular to the back, so I cant see what's in them but know when there's trapping. The guy I got them from controlled breeding with temp: Low temps 28 they stop, over 30 they start and as long as flow oxygenation is high temp is ok. Any other advise our need let me know.

Hope this helps. "

• Gehandylan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users