Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Hi folks...... just wanted to introduce myself as a noob to the forum, and to say thanks.......enjoy reading your posts.

I'm in Whitby Ontario and have had a community tank for some time now......BN plecos, African butterfly fish, ghost knife, aldolfo cories, dwarf gouramis, reticulated hill stream loach, glass cats, rainbow threadfins,etc...... love them all for different reasons. They make for great meditation!

But it's now time to start working my way to pleco only tank(s). I share all your enthusiasm for these entertaining and feature filled creatures..... granted.... some have faces only a mother could love ... lol

Looking forwarded to learning from you guys and sharing my foray into the path that most of you have already taken.

Cheers!

Matt
  • ScottPhedy and Arthurcex like this

#2 Romulous

Romulous

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to the addiction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• matt likes this

#3 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:27 PM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here from people who have kept and bred several species
  • matt likes this

#4 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

Thanks very much folks!

#5 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

Welcome Matt!

You came to the right place. Please ask away if you have any questions.

Cheers!

#6 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hey Lukan...... much appreciated. At this point........ I am still researching my setups.

Initial ideas are 2 more tanks.

A 75G dedicated just to L46

A 100G Long for a mix...... have several on my WANT list and a few on the MAYBE list.

I most likely will have both as glass bottom, no substrate, for easy of cleaning and keeping water quality good.

Still need to decide on filter but am leaning towards the Fluval FX6 and a sponge filter in both as well.

Haven't decided on power head options yet......

Will populate with a variety of caves( hope to have a few handmade), slate, Malaysian wood and maybe a sprig of Java fern at the top.

But am all ears if any of you have initial suggestions off the bat......

#7 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1937 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to the forum Matt. You are sure to meet some of the active members over a period of time.

#8 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:54 PM

My fave. zebra setup Ive had over the years was a 75g tank with a HMF filter on it, powered by a mag 7.5 or something (can't really remember right now.  I had 50 or so in there for a year or so and man oh man did they grow well.   Little bit of sand substrate and lots of rocks to hide in.  They tripled in size in no time.

You really don't need to spend the money on big canister filters.  That being said I do have a few of the largest Eheims, but when I had lots of tanks running, nothing beat lots of sponge filters.

Bare bottom is easier to clean, looks like crap tho.

Looking for some 75g tanks?  Ive got 8 or so Im selling....

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#9 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Rich..... PM sent.

#10 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

I second what Rich aka CanadaPleco said as far as set up.

Bare bottom works for me. However, as Rich said a bit of sand/gravel will also work. I have multiple tanks and I do have both set ups. My main display tank which happens to be where most of "Magic" happens is barebottom. My L236's tank has some gravel. Not too much but just a bit. However, you need to vacuum the gravel to get rid of as much "mulm" or dirt which contributes to higher nitrate contents in your tank.

Now as far as filter, Sponge filter or " HMF " is the way to go for biological filtration. For mechanical, canister will take care of it. I like how the "HMF" works because it is low maintenance and it does both mechanical and biological. In addition, if you have any power outages or filter malfunction "HMF" will survive for days even weeks as part of the filter is exposed to air.

Wood and slate is always good for hiding.

For air pumps invest in a good one from the start. Alita is the way to go. Lot of upfront cost but very quiet and it pushes air.

In the end, as long as your plecos thrive and not just survive do what works for you.

Cheers

#11 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:34 PM

Marte,

Thanks for that!

I still think I will stick with Bare bottom for the reasons you mention. these tanks will be in the "cave" in the basement so they wont be "show" tanks per se.

The one tank that is in the living room is the fully planted CO2 unit and the wife wouldnt go for anymore where company can see my obsession. So the basement they will go.

Also, as per your mention, I will use a combination of Canister and sponge.

Thanks for the advice on the Alita..... I see them on Angelfins and wondered why an airpump was so darn expensive but like a lot of things in life..... you get what you pay for!

#12 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:08 AM

Marte is right. I have bare bottom and sandy bottom. The bare bottom seems to have the most magic.

As you go further down that crazy path, you tend to guard against power failure. I prefer to have both power and sponge filters in the same tank. My aqua clear propeller something get "stuck' after a power failure but sponge with air will always work when the power come back.

It is also good to know that ""HMF" will survive for days even weeks ". I just starting to  experiment  with "HMF".

‚ÄčI also think that breeding success also depends on the density of plecos population vs tank size but you must keep up with the water change (25%/week). I have more L260 juvies (Breeder 30g) than L262 juvies in the 75g.

#13 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

Excellent..... a good bare bottom is always a good thing!!! ;-p

I hear what you are saying about power loss and as much as we hope its not a major consideration, it should be taken into account. I think the battery backed up Sponge setup will be what I will use to compliment the Canister. As for HMF..... I'll be honest, I hadn't heard that term until you mentioned it. So I did my homework and see that it is an interesting take on the sponge filtration.

Here is a cool adaptation:

http://www.seriously...r-mattenfilter/

As for breeding......... I'm not there yet, however, I will be taking tank size into consideration for that reason.

Don't tell the wife this but I am now leaning in the direction of a 125g, 75g, and 40g breeder...... all for different reasons.

Cheers!

#14 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

If I can do over, all my tanks will be 40g breeder. 4 foot light fixture is cheaper.  It has the same foot print as 75g. Plecos don't need the additional height. 

Power loss is not a major consideration for most people but if can set up auxiliary  power source that would be good. I am thinking of gas generator :). I don't have one....yet....:)

#15 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

If I can do over, all my tanks will be 40g breeder. 4 foot light fixture is cheaper.  It has the same foot print as 75g. Plecos don't need the additional height. 

Power loss is not a major consideration for most people but if can set up auxiliary  power source that would be good. I am thinking of gas generator :). I don't have one....yet....:)

40 breeder is 36x18.
75g is 48x18.

Foot and a half more foot print in 75g

Leong, crappy tire has generators on sale all the time. Get a decent one, not the smallest ones they suck. If I recall I picked up a 5500 watt one for around $400 last year. The $$$ you have in fish, your crazy to not have one. Winter is coming ;)

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#16 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:56 AM

hmmm, what is under my 75g must be a 60g? :)

Yes, Winter is coming :) but more so for you than me :)

#17 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:04 AM

yup, it is the 60g breeder as Perfecto don't make them anymore, just the 40g breeder

http://angelfins.ca/...roducts_id=1779

#18 matt

matt

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Ok folks,

Time for an update on my plans......

After considerable research, I have decided to forego a LARGE aquarium like the 125G that I originally was aiming for...... for a couple of reasons. Firstly, like many of you I want to acquire many different species of L/LDAs and so I didn't want to house them all in one large tank for obvious reasons. So I have decided to get 6 40 gallon breeders for adequate volume, good 18" width and adequate height. I will be able to mount 2 each in a shelving unit at Lowes that is rated for 1000lbs per shelf. SO I will be way under the limit on those. 40G Breeders are reasonably priced at $100 new but am aiming to get them on sale on Boxing Day. With this setup I can get maximum fish in the smallest footprint! ;-)

Will start with large sponge filtration and add API canisters as I go.

Will go with Marte's advise on the Alita air pump to feed the Sponges.

Will add Cardinal Tetras in some of the tanks(ones with plants) for a few  reasons.....

1) Love this schooling fish

2) they will help to act as a "canary in a coalmine" check on water quality

3) come from same region and water conditions/temps

Otherwise no other fish will accompany the plecos.

I have spent some considerable time making a long list of fish that I would love to have, categorized them in genus, diet consideration, temperature considerations, temperment considerations, size, etc so that there wont be any cross breeding, improper diet, etc.

Let me be clear...... I am not aiming to acquire all of these at once.... thats just too much and not smart..... this is what I aim to gather over time.

Here is my initial tank lists and am open to any constructive criticism/advise or thumbs up:

TANK #1 - L046 Zebra ONLY- Carnivore

28 celsius

5-6 units

slate/caves/no plants/bell caves/handmade caves/no cardinal tetras

TANK #2 - L018 Gold Nugget & L204 Flash

2 species, 4-6 fish

Vegetarian/Wood

28 Celsius

Wood/caves/anubias and java fern/ cardinal tetras

TANK #3- - L135 Worm Line Peck, L200 Hi Fin Green Phantom, L183 Starlight BN

3 species - 6 fish

Omnivore/Vege

26 Celsius

wood/rocks/caves/pea gravel/anubias/java fern/ neon tetras because slightly cooler tank

Tank #4 - L128 Blue Phantom,L142 Snowball, L134 Leopard Frog, L236 or  L066

4 species - 4 to 8 fish

Omnivore

27/28 Celsius

wood/rocks/caves/java fern/ cardinal tetras

Tank #5 - L014 Sunshine (if still available when I am looking to acquire), LDA105 Typhoon, L201

3 species- 4-6 fish

Omnivore/Carnivore

27 Celsius

wood/rocks/slate/caves/no plants/no fish

Tank #6 - UNDECIDED YET but possible:

3 types of Hypans: L260, L066/L399, L340

OR

L397 (leaning toward these guys)

So there ya have it. This is not cast in stone but that is what I have whittled it down to after considering all factors at my disposal so far. But if you have advise I'm open to hearing your thoughts.....

Cheers!

#19 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

Looks good. Have fun discover this beautiful hobby of ours :)

• matt likes this

#20 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

Another thing. I feed my plecos on:

Brine shrimp  and earthworm sticks

http://angelfins.ca/...&products_id=44

And New Life Spectrum Growth and Thera A: 

http://angelfins.ca/...products_id=111

http://angelfins.ca/...products_id=109

Angelfin may ran out of the above but you the try the link below:

http://www.petsandpo...CFRIoaQodAKIFjw

I seldom feed frozen food. 

My L46, L66, L236, L260, 262 spawn with just feeding quality dry food.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users