Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

L-144 Blue Eyed Pleco

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1937 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

The L-144 Blue Eyed pleco long fin has bugged me for a number of years. The strain that has existed in our area as well as in much of the USA has been very weak and badly inbred. Several times I have had them and lost them for no visible reason. I was down to raising a short fin female. I got a male at Finatics that was from imported Asian stock. They bred well for a number of spawns but the female suddenly died without reason. After awhile I decided to develop my own strain though genetic out breeding. I took a long fin albino female that was a throwback from a spawn of Green Dragons. I expected 100% brown fry but was surprised to find a few albinos that showed the male had recessive genes for albino. He was therefore from out bred stock. The albino fry were weak and did not survive past an inch long. The brown were strong and I have raised them to adult. Back about the time they were hatched I bought 6 Long fin blue eyed fry. Only one survived and grew into a male. This male i have bred to a long fin brown female that now carries the blue eyed genetics. I am thrilled with the results as half of the spawn are blue eye and the other half brown. Most are long fin and zero are albino as it would take both parents carrying a recessive gene for it to show. A female crossed back to the original short fin female gave less favorable results. Mainly fry mostly short fin in brown and albino and few blue eye. I should by Christmas have some hardy blue eyed stock ready to sell. 

• Arthurcex likes this

#2 tobalman

tobalman

CP Donator

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

This is a great and long process hopefully will pay off for you. I crossed my longfins male with the longfins calico female. And today my longfins has a very slow grow rate, took about 6 months to reach 2" and the fully size breeding male is no bigger than 4". 

#3 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

Interesting story. Goodluck with the project

#4 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1937 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

Cross breeding usually results in stronger and quicker growth. My fry appear to be growing quite well.

#5 tobalman

tobalman

CP Donator

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

I may get six from you to strengthen my group. I do like them to stay small perfect for small tank.

Cross breeding usually results in stronger and quicker growth. My fry appear to be growing quite well.

#6 littlepleco

littlepleco

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Awesome! I have seen these L144s and it is truly exciting to see what you have accomplished so far! Great job

I will definately buy some from you when you have available. 

#7 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1937 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:52 PM

Awesome! I have seen these L144s and it is truly exciting to see what you have accomplished so far! Great job

I will definately buy some from you when you have available. 

Hopefully some should be ready before Christmas.

• littlepleco likes this

#8 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Great work as usual Charlie!

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#9 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1937 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:52 PM

That is not all this week I discovered fry that are different. I put to brown females that I raised back with their 144 father and they have spawned. I got Brown fry, Albino fry, !44 blue eyed fry and a bonus. I got 10 fry that are spotted. Some more so than others. It could very well be the start of a new colour variety. At present they are only a week or so out of the cave. 

• littlepleco likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users