Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Repashy Superfoods

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:46 AM

I think I might try the xtreme pellets after reading this, while using veggies too. Seems like a very good price and all I find is postitive reviews, and it save me having to prepare the repashy food! 

Thanks for all the input

• ScottPhedy likes this

#22 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:07 AM

Spencer Jack wants $50 for a 4 lb container. Ken wants $55.95 with an undisclosed discount. With our low dollar and the high cost of international shipping Spencer Jacks is a bargain.

Where can I order from him?  I don't see it available from his website.

#23 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

Leisure_ man. The fact that your fishroom hits 90 in the summer giving them a hot and cooler season may be the reason behind your spawning success. I once questioned someone on what he was doing to trigger his Leopard Frogs to spawn and his reply was nothing. He had no air conditioning and his tanks went to 90 degrees or warmer during the summer. When they cooled back down to 85 in the fall then they spawned like crazy. As long as the fish are getting a good diet with the right nutrition it should not matter too much what the food is. However I will probably buy some pellets as my weekend fish feeder may like the convenience of just throwing a few pellets in each tank during cottage days in the summer.

I have a minisplit and air exchanger running in my fishroom, still there are daily and seasonal temperature fluctuation.  You are right that as long as the fish get a proper diet, it shouldn't matter too much what the food is.  What really matter is I don't need to spend the extra time to prepare the food and pay extra for it.  Not doing extra water change means more time for my other interests.

Here is a snapshot of my L174 parameters.  The dips are from water changes.

L174_temp_pH.jpg

#24 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:32 AM

He's posted this on other sites with the same response from others as myself.

Interesting enough, other hobbyists I talked to at the local fish clubs also see the same issues with Repashy.  What I always see on all the forums are people who are selling the food praising how good it is.  I have no affiliation with Xtreme Aquatic or make a living selling fish related products to general public.  I simple calling it as it is based on my personal experiences as a hobbyist.  In fact, I still have 3 different bags (largest size) of Repashy sitting in my freezer after throwing out 2 other bags.  I had even talked to Allen in person when it first came out as I frequent different conventions and expressed my concerns with the product.  Gel fish food concept is not new in the hobby.  Many attempts have been made in the past and they all disappeared.  Allen does make a great product for reptile, that may be the reason why others are more willing to promote his gel food.

The bottom line is, if there is a cheaper and easier food with similar nutritious values, ignoring all the negative issues I have mentioned it still makes no sense to use something that takes more time to prepare and cost more.

#25 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:54 AM

Send me the food and I will test it and let you know with a video - I'll even give you my fedex number so you can expedite it to me.

#26 Chouin

Chouin

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

I have been using Repashy food for a few years with no problem.

Since I'm a little bit "lazy", I feed it 1-2 weeks per month, I keep it in the refrigerator.

I might give a try to Xtreme food, one of my friend is using it and his pleco like it.

On my side, I used pellets from Kens and Northfin mostly.

125g: L007, 3x L24, 3x L114, 2x L160, L190, 2x Adonis

125g : 3x L25, L81, 2x L114, 2x L160, L200

125g : Mega Barrae, 3x L24, L106, L177, 2x L273 Yellow, 3x L273 red, L425, L600

75g: 
50g: 2x L160, L257, 4x LDA33
Montreal (Quebec)

#27 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

I'm a big user of Repashy food. It is my staple food that I use. . I don't have any issues of melting in my tank as my fish will attack that food until it is all gone. I tend to make my mixture a bit leaner. Overall, my experience with the food has been excellent.

However, I still supplement with Sera, Xtreme, Norhtfin, NLS, Omega One, Angelfins, Hikari, Cobalt, Hagen, Tetra and all kinds of other frozen food and freeze dried food.

HTH.....

#28 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:36 PM

Where can I order from him?  I don't see it available from his website.

At the very bottom of his current fish list you will find the foods.

#29 matti2uude

matti2uude

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

Does anyone want to split a package of the xtreme? It comes in a 4 lbs package.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#30 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

Got my Extreme order in from Spencer. My plecos like them, Monster and Nano. I also feed the others (NLS, Northfin, "Ken/Angelfin" sticks and flakes :)

#31 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

You can put Xtreme in freezer.  I do that all the time as I buy them by the case and it generally take me a year to use up the case.  Ken has the cheapest price on Xtreme but apparently out of stock.

#32 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

I'm a big user of Repashy food. It is my staple food that I use. . I don't have any issues of melting in my tank as my fish will attack that food until it is all gone. I tend to make my mixture a bit leaner. Overall, my experience with the food has been excellent.

However, I still supplement with Sera, Xtreme, Norhtfin, NLS, Omega One, Angelfins, Hikari, Cobalt, Hagen, Tetra and all kinds of other frozen food and freeze dried food.

HTH.....

Good thing you supplement with other food, as Repashy is low in protein content (after final mixing with water), making it leaner would make it even worse.  Typical minimal protein level requires for fish is more than 18%.  Repashy food barely meets it with the recommended mixing ratio after adding the water; which means you either have to add more powder to the same amount of water or feed more often.  If the Repashy is 1/2 the price, I would still not use it.  SInce feeding more often would still mean more work in term of more frequent maintenance.

Using Xtreme Aquatic food, or other premium food like Sera, NLS, Omega One, Cobalt, etc, I only have to feed my Hypancistrus once a day, that's for both breeders and fry.

#33 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info.

#34 mike

mike

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hmm.. im gonna try Xtreme as well and see how it goes! Anyone want to split a big bag with me from Calgary? 4lbs is a bit much for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users