Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Repashy Superfoods

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:01 AM

I have been reading a lot about these gel foods, seem amazing. 

I hear people have higher survival rates in fish and growth rates when they switched to this.

I have a few questions though.

1 - Can I feed this to my bristlenose and shrimp and only use repashy foods as their staple diets?

2 - What type of this food would you recommend for bristlenose and shrimp, can I get away with one type or would I need a few different types.

3 - Who supplies this in Canada? I found it on Angelfins site, but they're out of some of the kinds Im looking at.

Any input about this food is greatly appreciated, 

Thank!

• ScottPhedy and Arthurcex like this

#2 catinthehat

catinthehat

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

www.csexotics.com   carries it.

#3 matti2uude

matti2uude

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:52 AM

There is a list of retailers on the Northern Gecko website. He is the Canadian distributor.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#4 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:58 AM

http://www.northerng.../fishfood-gels/

Variety is always good.   I'd say a few different ones, but the soilent green one they go nuts over.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#5 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:04 AM

I like the food but it doesn't seem to last as long as a bag of pellets, or bag of flake food. Some advantages are for fry or plecos, does last a long time in the water

#6 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

Personally, I hate Repashy food.  I had tried it for 3 years and used four different types.  The meat pie was the worst as most of my fish refused to eat it .  Since I made the mistake of buying the largest size available, I ended up tossing most of them in the trash can.  Community plus was better received.  Nonetheless, the lack of protein content meant I had to triple the powder to water ratio.  With this ratio, it still 'melted' in the water and typically I had to do a large water change the next day after feeding Repashy.  The lack of proper binding agents as compare to other pellet food is most likely the cause.

I have since switched all my fish to Xtreme Aquatic food.  All the 'slow growing' plecos like L46, L174, L260, L262 have never grown so fast.  The food stays intact and I only do water change twice a week.  My Hypancistrus WC breeders are also much more prolific.  The L174 WC group which are fed exclusively on Xtreme Aquatic Food, had a total of 12 spawns so far this year.  I don't see why anyone would want to spend the extra money, time, and not to mention water change just to use Repashy food.  Also once you mixed the food, it only stayed 'fresh' in the frig for about 2 weeks before it started to smell even worst and became moldy.

You can test it yourself by measuring the conductivity spike by putting Repashy food in water.  It doesn't matter how good the ingredients are, If it all ended up in the water column and not in the fish, all you end up doing is more work to clean the filters and do water change.  Sometimes I wonder what percentage of the food actually made it to the fish and the rest just ended up clogging the filters or getting spoiled in the frig.  Repashy is a great reptile food, but as a food fish it fails on all fronts when compare to other premium pellet food.

#7 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

@leisure_man: What type of Xtreme Aquatic food did you get for your L46, L174, L260, L262?

Thanks

• Bwhiskered likes this

#8 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:08 AM

@leisure_man: What type of Xtreme Aquatic food did you get for your L46, L174, L260, L262?

Thanks

That is a good question and I am also interested in the answer as my L-46 and L-174 seem slow to spawn.

#9 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:26 AM

leisure_man, Ive been using all the different kinds of repashy since it came out and have never had a problem with it 'melting'   very strange!   I feed it almost exclusively to my Ranchu's now and throw a big chunk in and they eat at it for about 15 minutes before its totally gone, no melting away at all.   Never had that problem in pleco tanks either, maybe it has something to do with temperature?  Are your water temps at like 88 degrees or something?

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#10 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:49 AM

I feed them all Xtreme Monster pellet.  They are like 9mm in diameter so I just crush them up.  The really small bits are great for the fry.

#11 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

leisure_man, Ive been using all the different kinds of repashy since it came out and have never had a problem with it 'melting'   very strange!   I feed it almost exclusively to my Ranchu's now and throw a big chunk in and they eat at it for about 15 minutes before its totally gone, no melting away at all.   Never had that problem in pleco tanks either, maybe it has something to do with temperature?  Are your water temps at like 88 degrees or something?

I used to feed Repashy to all sort of fish and my fishroom is over 84F.  During the summer months the pleco tanks can get up to 90F.  I literally saw the uneaten Repashy turned to a puddle at the bottom of the tanks and most of my tanks are bare bottom.  If the fish eat them in 15mins that is fine, but plecos would sometime take way longer than 15mins to get to the fish.  My main problem with Repashy was feeding the plecos.  Since I fed all my plecos at night and the next morning all the food was gone.  I had no way to knowing the plecos consumed them or the Repashy just got kicked up all over into the filters.  Didn't take me too long before I knew the answer to that when the tanks got all cloudy and smelly from the 'melted' Repashy in the water column.

#12 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:58 AM

That is a good question and I am also interested in the answer as my L-46 and L-174 seem slow to spawn.

I only use one food for all my plecos breeders.  I used to be like most people, try to feed abit of this and that, or try another brand here and there.  I ended up spending all my time looking for one 'perfect' food for plecos; and Xtreme Aquatic Monster pellet fits my need.  I used it for both breeders and fry alike.  My L46 frys would start eating it within a week from free swimming, how cool is that.  And the growth rate is phenomenon.

I also use NLS food, but I find it abit hard to break up to smaller chunks.  The plecos do like NLS to a certain degree but not as much as the Xtreme Monster pellet.  I now buy the Xtreme Monster pellet by the case (4 largest size containers in a case) and I just put them all in the freezer since a case would last me a year.

A word of caution tho, you do not want to feed Xtreme Monster pellet to wood chewing plecos exclusively.  The protein content is abit high for those guys.

• CanadaPleco and matti2uude like this

#13 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:59 AM

@leisure_man: Thanks

#14 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the information.

#15 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

Where can you get Xtreme food in On beside Spencer?

#16 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Spencer has a flat rate Fedex shipping ......$11 to On. 

• matti2uude likes this

#17 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

Here is the difference between Xtreme Monster Pellets and Ken's 9.5 mm pellets. I have used Ken's pellets for my bushynose.

First Xtreme.

Xtreme 9mm Monster (new) is a 9mm pellet that fish might just jump out of the pond to get. For those really big fish, 9mm Monster Pellets will keep them from looking hungrily at small animals and children. Maybe not for the family aquarium, but perfect for Koi, Dovi, Cintrinellum, Nandopsishaitienisi and other "Monster" varieties. Note to breeders. We use these pellets to feed new born fry...it sinks to the bottom and they can nibble at it...and it doesn't foul the tank! Main Ingredients: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Middlings, Wheat, Shrimp Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Distillers Dried Grains with Soluables, Brewers Dried Yeast, Spirulina, Monosodium Phosphate, Paprika, Limestone, Xanthophyll, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Salt, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, di-Alph Tocopheryl Acetate(Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Caldium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex(source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Canthaxanthin, Astaxanthin, Beta Carotene Guaranteed Analysis: Protein 38% min, Fat 5% min, Fiber 4.5% max, Moisture 10% max.

Next is Ken's

Main ingredients: wheat flour, fish meal, soy flour, blood meal, hydrolyzed feather meal, brewers dried yeast, fish oil, liquid fish solubles, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dicalcium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, manganese proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, iron proteinate, cobalt proteinate, calcium carbonate, sodium selenite, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d3 supplement, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e supplement), vitamin b12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin k activity), folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, calcium propionate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin c), ethoxyquin.

Guaranteed analysis: crude protein 40.0% min., crude fat 7.0%min., crude fiber 3.0% max., moisture 12.0% max. Ash 8.0% max.

Note that wheat is the first ingredient instead of Krill. No wonder the price is less than half. Great for Bushynose but my Carnivores did not like it. I may try some Xtreme.

#18 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

Spencer Jack wants $50 for a 4 lb container. Ken wants $55.95 with an undisclosed discount. With our low dollar and the high cost of international shipping Spencer Jacks is a bargain.

#19 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

Leisure_ man. The fact that your fishroom hits 90 in the summer giving them a hot and cooler season may be the reason behind your spawning success. I once questioned someone on what he was doing to trigger his Leopard Frogs to spawn and his reply was nothing. He had no air conditioning and his tanks went to 90 degrees or warmer during the summer. When they cooled back down to 85 in the fall then they spawned like crazy. As long as the fish are getting a good diet with the right nutrition it should not matter too much what the food is. However I will probably buy some pellets as my weekend fish feeder may like the convenience of just throwing a few pellets in each tank during cottage days in the summer.

#20 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:30 AM

I thought that the site was not for the above comment. He's posted this on other sites with the same response from others as myself. I've never had a problem with Repashy ever milking the water. I boil the water and add it to the mix without issue ever day. I have not seen it go mouldy but in my case I cut it up and use it everyday so it never goes unused. If your seeing mould it could be from other impurities as a lot of people including myself add medications, vitamins and so on. Or condensation on the lid as it cools and sets? I find it one of the best foods for my fish. Morning wood, meat pie, community, bottom scratcher and grub pie are my staples. My fish grow fast and I condition them for sale quickly on them.
From L46 to L25's they all inhale it like a fat kid on a smartie! I have used the others but they don't sell in large packages locally so I have not been able to get a full comparison. Cost wise I find it one of the best foods for wild plecos and cories. I am even using spawn and grow on my discus/angels with great success as they are breeding quite regularly. I mean let's deal with the namesake direct and if you got a bad batch then send me it and I'll talk to Allen or Mark at Northern Gecko and they'll replace it for sure. PM me for my address.

http://www.plecoplan...ead.php?t=23047
  • matti2uude likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users