Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Lost 2 LDA105's today

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:24 AM

Of my three LDA105's, I lost two of them today within hours of each other.  Both looked healthy with no apparent signs of distress or illness.  I had fed them zucchini last night which was purchased from a different grocery store - I rinsed it before feeding it to them though.  That has been the only thing to have changed recently otherwise status quo.  Nitrate level is higher than I'd like but I'm due for a tank change.

Tank parameters:

GH ppm 180

KH ppm 40

Ph 6.0-6.5

Nittire 0-0.5

Nitrate80-160

Temp: 85 degrees Fahrenheit

My three blue phantoms and a couple of zebra plecos in the tank all seem content.  Any thoughts?

So sad...:-(

#2 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

Sorry for your loss

#3 Reis

Reis

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

That is bizzare and sad :(
It's weird that everything else is doing fine.

I mean if it was the zucchini than wouldn't you see other deaths as well?

- L345 - L134 - L262 - L239 - L46 - L128 -

Youtube Channel dedicated to video's of my Set Up's and Livestock!

http://www.youtube.com/nextgenaquarium

#4 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3036 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

I've lost LDA105's for no apparent reason as well. Drives you right nuts! Any new fish added recently to the tank?

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#5 Jean102

Jean102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationQu├ębec city

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

Repashy is a safe food for them and easy to prepare

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

I have often had all one species of fish die in a tank and everyone else stayed healthy. Once had a tank of killifish in the fish room and another one of the same species in another room and both tanks wiped out the same day for no apparent reason. Some deaths can not be explained.

#7 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

sorry for your loss, I feel like pseudas are more prone to sudden death like this. I've lost a big L25 and some medium sized L273 the same way. completely out of the blue, everything else in the tank is fine. 

maybe certain fish are more sensitive to metals/additives in our tap water? even through we use products like prime etc, things are sure to get through

#8 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

I am thinking that there was an intestinal blockage for some reason other than that you may have had some intestinal parasites that flared up. These pseudas typically wont share the same cave as they are aggressive to each other could the aggression be part of it? They may have injured themselves fighting?  

#9 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

Actually, all three died within two hours and I can't explain it.  They were so healthy, the biggest guy was the size of my hand, good coloring, healthy belly/weight/size, no injuries, everyone kept to themselves and they all had enough caves/hiding spots so no territory disputes.

I did not do anything out of the ordinary.  No change in tank mates - just the three blue phantoms and less than 5 zebra plecos. It was the strangest thing, the only thing I could liken it to is when a spouse dies and the other passes in short time too.  

These guys liked to hide but I will miss them!!! 

#10 Reis

Reis

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

That's so sad. I only only thought that happened with animals that pair off for life. It happened to my pair of love birds many years ago, male died and female died soon after. Hey I guess they also read romeo and Juliet growing up.

- L345 - L134 - L262 - L239 - L46 - L128 -

Youtube Channel dedicated to video's of my Set Up's and Livestock!

http://www.youtube.com/nextgenaquarium

#11 tobalman

tobalman

CP Donator

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

Just wondering if you peeled the zucchini before feeding to the plecos ? because the insecticides spray (Diazinon and Malathion). This happen to me once as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users