Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

throwing out eggs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mollyb

mollyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hi, kinda of a general question, as in specific to any species I imagine, but some may be more sensitive than others.  I have some LDA 074 (blue medusa) plecos that spawned the other day, the male seemed to be quite content on the clutch.  BIG eggs.  This morning, the clutch was scattered throughout the tank. 

Any insights as to why?  I picked up the eggs, 15 of them was all.  Bare bottom tank, so I know I got em all.  They are fertile, you can see the little embryos, I put em in a home made tumbler.

Wondering if this a common thing with new dads?  this is only the first spawn.  Thanks, Brent

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2047 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

Often eggs get kicked out. It is not always the fault of a young male being inexperienced. Some times it is the cave design. Often you raise a bigger spawn if the eggs are hatched artificially in a hatcher or a fry saver.

I have long fin bushynose that kick them out most of the time. 

• mollyb likes this

#3 mollyb

mollyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

maybe the cave isn't long enough?  the dad has his choice of 7 caves, all slightly different.  The eggs are still viable, I saw an embryo 'kicking' last night.  I don't mind the artificial raising, just wondering.  Thanks for the reply

#4 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

My male zebra pleco does the same thing-he didn't in the first few years but now it seems to be more of a common occurrence. Today, one egg was close to the middle/front of the cave and I think it was just from his moving around inside the cave.  I found it outside the cave an hour later.  

I wouldn't worry too much about it; he'll either do a better job moving forward or you'll need to intervene as you have already done.  Congrats on the fry!

• mollyb likes this

#5 mollyb

mollyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Samantha.  The male was successful with the next spawn, but there were only 3 eggs, still, he kept them the whole time and I now have 3 new 'darters' in the tank.  I wonder if I disturbed him the first time, with my excitement and looking too often with a flashlight.  Brent

#6 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

My latest L46 spawn got 3 wigglers kicked out already, as compare to the latest L174 spawns, the males all managing very well with 0 wiggler out the caves.

#7 denzky

denzky

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

Actually i experienced that too...but iam on the process if experiment my set
Up i have a wigglers another batch at present in my set up so far no wigglers out yet once this is proven i wann a share the tricks

#8 mollyb

mollyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

got another spawn, up to 5 or 6 eggs now!.  Funny, the first spawn was 15 eggs, all fertile but kicked out, now small spawns and he seems to be keeping them.  it is neet to see the little guys from the last spawn quite comfortable with the eggs and male, same cave so far, although the little guys do get around a bit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users