Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

L066 Fry not eating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tensa

Tensa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPenticton, BC

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:48 PM

Hi guys.

Purchased some plecos from a LFS back in October 2015. They were classified as King Tiger Plecos.

I found fry early last week hiding in the community tank. Still looked like they had their egg sacs as some of their bellys were really round. Then starting on Friday, they started to die. I found 3 dead fry in the tank, 2 with round bellys and one that was thin.

I rounded the remaining fry I could find and placed them in a breeder boxes with an airstone and some java moss. I'm concerned that the fry are just not eating. I currently have 6 remaining in the breeder box and I would expect to see some entrails of poop if they were eating but no such luck.

They look thinner which makes me think they have used up their egg sack. What should I do? I've been trying to feed them Microworms/Shrimp pellets that I crush up/NLS spectrum pellets that are crushed up/Hikari algae wafers. Don't seem to be having any luck. They move around when I put microworms in the box, but I don't know whether they are moving because some of the worms end up squirming on them. 

At this point I wonder if I made a mistake moving them to the breeder box. Should I release them back into the community tank and hope they will be able to locate food on their own? It is a 70 gallon tank. I've found another fry that I missed hanging out in the community tank and I'm going to leave him as is and hope he makes it.

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2021 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:43 PM

The fry would be better fed live or frozen baby brineshrimp. Make sure there is lots of water movement in the breeder box. I had micro worms get in the gills of fry and it killed them.

#3 gtomike

gtomike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationKingsville ON

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

I always start my fry on live brine shrimp also in a breeder box I turn the air off so the brine shrimp fall to the bottom and don`t get sent back out to the tank.

#4 denzky

denzky

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Actually I have tons of producing King tiger honestly theres a certain batches happening like that scenario..dont worry once your pair start breeding you cant stop it...maybe next batches maybe you can produce mire healthier and strong frys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users