Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Feeding Report for Zebra Plecos

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

Found this on Planet Catfish and thought it may interest Zebra Breeders/keepers.

. http://ainfo.cnptia....ulocarneiro.pdf

#2 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

Hmmmm.......very interesting results. I was thinking that the mixed food was going to produce the best results. Something to ponder for sure. Charlie thank you posting the article.

#3 Reis

Reis

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Thanks! Great article!

- L345 - L134 - L262 - L239 - L46 - L128 -

Youtube Channel dedicated to video's of my Set Up's and Livestock!

http://www.youtube.com/nextgenaquarium

#4 davej

davej

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Seems like a pretty limited choice of foods. With the large number of choices out there they used fish,shrimp, brine shrimp and a mix of all three. Would love to see a similar trial with more " modern " food.

#5 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:09 AM

What do they eat in the wild?

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

I would guess aquatic insect larva and small shrimp like creatures,

#7 denzky

denzky

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

Nice...Charlie! Thanx

#8 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

I give my L46 fry brine shrimp too.  Unfortunately, too much of a good thing may be bad for them as I have lost one fry from a batch that I overfed.  Since then, I have been giving them a mix of dry food and brine shrimp.  One food I hate and avoid for all my plecos is the Rapashy, this stuff basically 'melt' in the water and I cant tell how much is actually being consumed by the fish, not to mention it foul the water much faster than any other food.  IMO, Rapashy is the worst food for feed pleco.

#9 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3036 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

I give my L46 fry brine shrimp too.  Unfortunately, too much of a good thing may be bad for them as I have lost one fry from a batch that I overfed.  Since then, I have been giving them a mix of dry food and brine shrimp.  One food I hate and avoid for all my plecos is the Rapashy, this stuff basically 'melt' in the water and I cant tell how much is actually being consumed by the fish, not to mention it foul the water much faster than any other food.  IMO, Rapashy is the worst food for feed pleco.

Sounds like you need to make repashy with more of the powder and less water.   Its like a hockey puck when I make the stuff.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#10 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

When I started using Repashy 3 or 4 years ago.   I double to triple ( 2.5x ) the powder amount from the package direction indicated, mixing it at this level post a problem as I had to reheat the entire content in microwave several time to guarantee somewhat of an even mix.  I even talked to Allen in person and told him the mixing concentration I used.  He indicated 'no one' including himself used it at that concentration.  The stuff still 'melt' into a puddle in the tank and foul the water like crazy.  Obviously, the cost of feeding the fish also double or triple.  As we all know Repashy gel food is not a cheap product to start with, I simply didn't see the point to continue the use for my plecos as I also have to double up my water change frequency.

#11 denzky

denzky

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:45 AM

Actually is just the matter of choice sometimes what we think if is really good for the plecos?My king tiger feeding mostly dried food but there keep on spawn ...not much into food brand..i always rely first in religious husbandary rather than food.

#12 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:43 AM

Interesting article.  I personally find that when I feed mine brine shrimp, they don't eat much of it.  They seem to love the Repashy mixes I feed them, along with with shrimp pellets and they absolutely devour the zucchini when I feed them it.  

#13 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

I have yet to hear any report on L46 that would devour zucchini.  My extensive breeding group of L46 don't care much for any zucchini as well as Repashy food of any kind.

#14 Zebrapl3co

Zebrapl3co

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

What a shame.  Would have loved to see the guy adding two more food to the experiment.  

1)  Blood Worm (how can he miss this.  This is a guarantee favorite for any zebra pleco.  Although there are too many cases of fry choking to dead on them)

2) Hikari Massivore a very good secondary stable to keep them fat, but should not be a sole source of food.

I agree with leisure_man.  Too much of a good thing can turn out to be a bad thing.  I've seen zebra pleco so fat that then can't even stick to the glass wall.  They need a proper diet to grow properly, not overly stuffed with high protein diet food.

And no, zucchini is not a food source for zebra pleco.  Off the hundreds that I breed, I have never had one that eats it.

#15 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:38 AM

I am going to add a note in regards to the zucchini.  

What I do is slice a zucchini lengthwise in half and then skewer it and put it in the tank so that the green rind is the only part up.  The green rind is what the pleco eat, they don't eat the middle stuff but will eat all the green rind.  I have two zebra pleco tanks who actively eat this at night.  Hope that helps clarify my earlier comment.

#16 Zebrapl3co

Zebrapl3co

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

Interesting. I always peel my veggies skins because I am afraid of farming chemical that might linger.  So lol, that might be the reason.

I wonder why they do that though?  Might it be some kind of scavenger instinct that makes them think it's a dead pleco?  I know that pleco likes to chew off the skins of other dead (sometimes alive) plecos.  They unfortunately have this kind of behavior during mating or when the alpha or matriarch rejects one of the pleco in the tank.  I lost quite a few this way due to incompatible/inexperience pairs.

#17 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

I also slice my zucchini lengthwise in half and then skewer it with the green rind up.  My adult L46s (all 4 breeding tanks) just dont eat it.  My L397 would eat all the green rind 1st before working onto the meat.  L260, 262, L134 also like to each the green rind from time to time but to a lesser degree when they were young.  Most of my adult plecos aside from L397 would not touch zucchini anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users