Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Heating large tanks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

Okay so my hydro bills are pretty close to $400/mth. Thanks to our Ontario gov raping us for hydro but let's not get into a political debate here.

So I'm thinking of putting a heat exchanger on my hot water tank and running some pex off it into my 300g and a 125g tank to heat them. Has anyone ever tried this before? It should work great and cost next to nothing. Minus the plumbing stuff which I'm lucky enough to have a neighbour who is a plumber. I figure I shoukd be able to setup both tanks for about $150 including the heat exchanger.

Thoughts????
  • Nobagssypec and Gbagssmcvq like this

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1937 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

If your hot water tank is natural gas or your electric hot water heater is flat rate then you could save money. If not there will be no saving.

#3 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

Ya my dad talked me out of the heat pump thing, it might work a bit, but insulating the hell out of it should do a better job.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#4 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

pex lines are not good heat conductor, copper lines are real expensive so the initial investment would be greater.  You should at least insulate the hot water tank since they are usually in an unconditioned space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users