Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Safe easy way to clean a python

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

hey all, I have a 25 foot python drain system that is pretty badly stained on the inside, wanted to ask if anyone knows of a safe way to clean the inside of these out?

I was thinking white vinegar or something along those lines. would rather not use a pipe scrubber if I dont have to.....    :waaaht:

thanks in advance

Mike

#2 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3012 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

mine are all black now after around 10 yrs of use, i don't bother doing anything to them other then try to drain them as best as possible so no water is sitting in them all coiled up.

• jimmy chonga likes this

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#3 Jayba

Jayba

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRed Deer Alberta

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

If you wanted you could use a vacuum and suck a string through. Then tie on a piece of cloth and pull it through a couple times. I would avoid the whole vinegar/chemical route.
  • jimmy chonga likes this

#4 Wusswolf

Wusswolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

I JUST used my python for the first time last night (WOW, I was really missing out for years!!!), and really appreciate this thread!  I'm going to try the vacuum-string-cloth method myself if/when it becomes needed - thanks Jayba!
~

#5 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

im going to give the vacuum string method a shot. except I will attach an appropriately sized tube cleaning brush to the end of it. 

#6 Brad

Brad

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

If just using to drain a tank don't worry about it.

I always send scalding hot water through the hose about every other water change I figure it can't hurt .  Been using one Python for 12 years and the line is still clean.

#7 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:48 AM

yea I figured the same, my tank is very clean, wanted to clean it more for aesthetic purposes than anything. looks pretty gross if im doing a water change and i have friends over

#8 Y2KGT

Y2KGT

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

I put 3 gallons of hot water in a 5 gallon bucket with a little Clorox bleach, hook my Python up to a Mag 5 pump, place the pump in the bucket and the other end of the Python in the bucket as well. Turn on the Mag 5 and let it circulate the water for about 30 minutes. When the time is up my Python looks almost as good as new. Replace the dirty water with fresh clean hot water and repeat this process to remove all the bleach.

I only use my Python to remove water from my tanks and therefore no worry about the bleach getting into my tanks. I use a drinking water safe hose to fill my Brute container for water changes.

Hope this helps.

--

Paul

#9 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

Ive always used a muriatic acid bath with 98% water atleast and just let it soak with a maxi jet stuck on the end to run water through each chunk of the hose, I just take the hoses off all the plastic parts since I cant do high end service calls with a black hose in my opinion lol.  It seems to work I do it once a month or two, its perfectly fish save and you as you drain a tank it will just wash the low ph acid out of the lines and down the drain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users