Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

dechlorination water

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 diver38

diver38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

I was just woundering how many people dechlorination water or just use water right from the tap for water changes.

#2 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

I use right from the tap but I'm on well water that's clean so I don't deck primate but if your on city I would advise it!

#3 diver38

diver38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I live in the city and I'm using tap water to fill the tank and then i put prime conditioner, but i hear alot of ppl 

dechlorinat the water in a holding  tank and use that

#4 tony1928

tony1928

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

A lot of us out here on the west coast just dump water straight into tank and dump in some Prime or some Safe. I even do it for my zebras.

#5 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

I would suggest to add water conditioner anytime you take water from the taps unless you run a carbon filter.  Even with well waters there can be all kinds of run offs and other minerals getting into your source water.  The dechlorinators work through reduction and get rid of any toxic heavy metals and can even detoxify bleach.  

Products like Prime or any other seachem are better than a Big Als water conditioner or other store brands because for a few reasons.

First off: Better value. its much more concentrated so even tho the initial cost is a little bit higher I believe you actually save about 50% over the big als brand.  

Second:  Helps fish produce slime coats

Third: Reduces ammonia and Nitrate levels and comes out of the fish tank system after 24 hours so it can be dosed very regularly to help a tank if need be.

So thats why I would use it just to be safe

#6 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

I just re read that.  Can you tell I sell these products for a living? lmfao

#7 leisure_man

leisure_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I use tap water too.  However the water goes into storage tanks at least over night before it goes into the tanks.  The water changes and storage tanks refill are all automated.  I just make sure the storage tanks have strong aeration and heaters to maintain the proper temperature.  I also use dosing pumps to adjust the pH of the water with feedbacks from pH probes and dose dechlorinator.  To figure out how much dechlorinator to use, you have to know the average chlorine concentration in the tap water.  You can figure that out by using a chlorine test kit and/or call the local water department and ask to speak with the supervisor (I did both and the concentrations concur with each other).  Finally, just figure the proper concentration of dechlorinator (I use sodium thiosulfate) and the proper amount to neutralize the chlorine in your tap water.  So once I got them setup, I just monitor the operations from time to time and refill the chemical for the dosing pumps every few weeks.  Everything is connected to the same system that I can monitor on my pc and smart devices.

As mentioned before, I use sodium thiosulfate as the dechlorinator since I only have chlorine in my tap water.  If you have chloramine, then you need to use something like Prime to remove the ammonia.  Since chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia, if you only neutralize the chloride you will end up with an ammonia spike in the water.  Also chloramine is much more stable in the water while chlorine will dissipate fairly quickly when expose to air (like strong aeration).  Sodium thiosulfate is also very cheap as compare to Prime or any other brand name products.

#8 Divinehammer

Divinehammer

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park Alberta

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

where I live you have no choice but to use prime or other better brands as we have chlorimine in the water not chlorine, so we can't just throw it into a holding tank with a airstone over night, like other can.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I don't keep fish I keep water!
Check out my 240 gallon build on DIYfishkeepers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users