Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Can anyone tell? M/F?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

I actually don't know for sure what type of pleco this is, maybe an L-002, but what I wanted to know, is if by the pic, can anyone figure out if this pleco is male or female?  If so, why do you figure?  I am learning about plecos,  I have two of these, got them form a friend who doesn't remember what they were labelled as.  I am hoping I have a male and a female. 

One is fatter and shorter by a bit, but they both seem to be 'hairy' and I think they both have pectoral odontal growth too.  Maybe both sexes develop this, just males more so?  Oh ya, and this pic is of the longer, thinner one.

Sorry for the huge pic, I just wanted to show as much detail as I could.

Thanks!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7116.JPG

#2 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

If you wanna learn about plecos buy the back to nature guide to L catfish by Ingo Seidel, that pleco is a type of peckolita,possibly a Clown L002 hard to tell from the side angle.  Anyways in the book here theres an little paragraph on each genus of plecos on diet, characteristics, sexual dimorphism, distribution, diet and maintenance in the aquarium. "Sexual Dimorphism: Sexually mature males with prolonged odontodes behind the gill cover, on the pectoral fin spines and on all the scutes of the posterior body.  Above all the thinckened upper caudal-fin ray is extremely strongly bristled"

Hope that helps ya out

Steve

#3 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

I will see if I can find it, thanks.  You think it's a clown pleco?

Caudal fin is extremely bristled.......like spikey?  I see those areas being hairy, but would you consider that prolonged odontodes?

#4 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

Thats a rough translation from I'm guessing Spanish, basically the males are furrier and have longer spikes than females in certain places like under the tail on their front two side fins and on the end of the tail then they will be furrier and also have longer spikes behind their gills. Females also get nice and plump when full of eggs however a fat male can also look quite plump lol

Also clown plecos are either L002 or L102 I cant remember off the top of my head but almost all peckolitas are very similar in colouration.  That is if it is a peckolita, as I said before its really hard to tell from the side angle on a mostly brown fish lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users