Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

blanched or raw veggies?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

I just read an old post in this forum about how using microwaves for food is so detrimental.  I've thought about this before, but never researched it.  Apparently, it nukes vitamins and minerals right out of the veggies I feed my plecos.  There was some talk about returning to the stove.  Then, someone made a comment about not blanching the zuch. at all?  Is this an option?  Does anyone feed raw veggies to their plecos and which ones?   

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Blanching helps to soften the vegetable like decomposing of plants. fruits, seeds and leaves in the wild. Kale, collards and dandelion greens I just freeze as this helps break then down naturally. Zucchini and snow peas I blanch in boiling water on the stove for 5 minutes. Sweet potato I feed raw. I also feed Brussel Sprouts that I buy already frozen at Metro. Thaw one in warm water and then pull it apart.

#3 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

As far as I know it can be any kind of zucinni and cucumber the only reason most people blanch veggies is to soften them up and help th
Sink... Personally I would prefer the raw method big it needs to be in the water too long before sinks!

#4 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Ok, I freeze my zucchini too, so far that's the only thing I've tried to feed my new plecos, so you think I don't have to blanch them at all?  I even think freezing them would take some nutrients out, but hey, I don't even eat that well, lol!!!

#5 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

I feed raw.  I just make sure i slice down the side of the veg so there's no chance of a pleco getting stuck in a ring.  I then stick a fork in it for weight and drop it in the tank.

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

I use plastic clothes pins from Dollarama. They last about a year before the springs rust out.

#7 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

I feed raw. I just make sure i slice down the side of the veg so there's no chance of a pleco getting stuck in a ring. I then stick a fork in it for weight and drop it in the tank.

Slicing the cucumber is a very good idea because I did have a pleco get caught up in one around the heater but nothin serious came about but better safe then sorry!!

#8 Jebelz008

Jebelz008

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hi,

My plecos love raw zucchinis they are not crazy about cucumbers or sweet potatoes, I guess it's because when they are young I start them with zucchinis I also peel the zucchinis in case there is trace of pesticide it wouldn't do to good for the plecos,I tied up a fishing line to the light of the tank and at the other end I tied up a spoon or fork,when it's time to feed them I just have to pull the fishing line with the spoon or fork attached to it, stab the piece of zucchini it sank easily as long as the piece of zucchini is not extremely big :)

#9 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

These are great ideas, thanks a bunch!!  My tigers didn't touch the zucchini at all, but my bushynose sure did.  I guess the tigers will just have to get used to it.  I had to remove the zucchini because it went fungus-covered.  

#10 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

I find it best to feed the cucumber at night then in the morning pull the remains out and give another every second day!

#11 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

I fed them at night, just after the light went out, but they didn't touch it all night.  I thought I'd give them a chance to realize it's food, but I guess I should just keep trying every 2 days I guess.  they go for algae pellets, at least they are eating.

#12 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

These are great ideas, thanks a bunch!!  My tigers didn't touch the zucchini at all, but my bushynose sure did.  I guess the tigers will just have to get used to it.  I had to remove the zucchini because it went fungus-covered.  

Tigers are meat eaters and need shrimp and blood worms or they will starve to death. They will eat some wafers and granular foods and pellets.

#13 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

OMG!!  I just threw in some shrimp pellets (catfish food), I knew they were omnivores, but I thought primarily vegetarian, I thought the spirulina tabs would have some protein in them.  Thanks for the heads up.  Stave to death, omg, that's harsh.

#14 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

My zebra plecos and blue phantoms devour their RAW zucchini:

> I slice lengthwise

> I scoop out the soft middle it to strengthen the outer core/rind

> I wedge it under some of their rocks and they gnaw the outer rind off by morning

#15 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

I only feed raw, but the fish that eat the veggies I have now are no smaller then 8", so they don't really need it softened.   I use cheap old spoons to sink them.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users