Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Tiger or clown?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hi all,  I am new to the forum and would like an ID for two plecos I got from a friend.  She doesn't know what they are and can't remember where she purchased them or how much.  I took some pics to help.  I've looked through the threads and see some types of plecos that are very similar to mine, but I am no expert at all with them.  This is what I have so far, I hope the pics are good enough.  I have two plecos, very similar, I believe they are the same, so the pics are of one or the other.

This pic is taken in the dark, using a flash, so the colour is yellowish.  Notice the extension of the tail fin, opague fins and squiggly pattern on it's head, how it doesn't match the body.

IMG_7008_crop_crop (Mobile).jpg

View from the back, all these pics are overexposed to brighten and try to show more detail. 

IMG_7041_crop (Mobile).jpg

A pic of her/his head, I'm peeking through the amazon sword

IMG_7042_crop (Mobile).jpg

Side view, the other pleco is on the far left (not a good shot of that one)

I just noticed this pleco has a bit of a spotted pattern on it's tail.

IMG_7044_crop (Mobile).jpg

Head shot, reflection off back glass

IMG_7046_crop (Mobile).jpg

And lastly another side shot with head included

IMG_7055_crop (Mobile).jpg

Like I said, I don't know if they are good enough to make a positive ID, but I'd like to try...

Thanks in advance!!! 

#2 matti2uude

matti2uude

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

It's some kind of Tiger, definately not a clown.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#3 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

So definitely, one has polkadots where the tail splits at the end, and the other one's tail continues with stripes.  They both look about the same size,  around 5", same colour but one was a bit smaller and fatter looking (from above) when I was acclimating them, wish I had looked closer at them then.  I wanted to leave them alone for a while, to get used to the tank, and not bother them trying to take pics.  I noticed just now when they came close to eachother, one really faded, I don't think that's a good sign :(  I was hoping maybe they were M/F and would pair off, I also didn't notice any odontal growth yet........I'll give them more time.    

#4 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

It's some kind of Tiger, definately not a clown.

Just curious, like I said, I am new to plecos, I find them very interesting, but am learning, is there a reason in particular you say they are definitely not clowns?

#5 matti2uude

matti2uude

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

Just curious, like I said, I am new to plecos, I find them very interesting, but am learning, is there a reason in particular you say they are definitely not clowns?

I said they're not clowns because they're definately some type of Tiger. Try looking at L-226 (I think) on planet catfish. I had L-002 before that looked the same but more orange.

#6 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

Ok, yeah, I just google imaged it, and I so see some similarities, even the polkadoted tail in one of the images.  I will check out planet.catfishes; L226. thanks!!

#7 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

K, just checked them out and it says they only get to be 3.9".  The ones in my tank are longer, from tail tip to head, if that's what it means to size them, but it's close, closer than I was!!

#8 matti2uude

matti2uude

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

Don't count the tail.

#9 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Ok, good to know, the whole tail, or just not the extensions? (veils)

#10 matti2uude

matti2uude

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Stop measuring where the tail begins.

#11 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Possible L-15  Peckoltia Vittata They have some 4 inches long at Big Al's in Mississauga.

#12 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks CP Donator, I looked again at the pics I posted, and it is not very obvious in them except for the first, but the pleco's heads in my tank look nothing like the rest of their bodies.  Their head's patterning is tight squiggly lines, while the rest of their bodies are banded.   

#13 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

I would say its a L103 clown pleco.  In a batch of wild caught clown plecos L103 that I order on a regular you will find all kinds of slight variances because they come in so small.  The hard part of comparing it to a clown is that clown plecos bought in stores might not even be clown plecos sometimes lol.  So to me it doesnt look like the L015 I owned at all the stripes are very narrow but I got mine at around 3 inches.  

#14 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Ok, I am 100% confused.  I guess I will have to get more pics and try again some time.  Eventually, I'd like to know the genders of each.  I thought I'd start with what type of pleco they were LOL.  I am getting conflicting opinions, which leaves me in my original dilemma.  

I do not know what name they were bought under, as I got them from a friend who can't remember anything about them.  They always hide during the day in a hollow artificial log ornament, open at both ends with little holes big enough for them to swim into here and there.  I've been feeding them mostly catfish staple and algae pellets at night.  They are gone by morning, not sure who exactly eats them, but there is pleco poop all over the gravel in 24hrs.  I don't know what else to add at this time.   

#15 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Well they are eating and they are definitely some kind of tiger .... Here is a link to l397 ... It sorta looks like a smaller one of these but these guys arnt a fish you just give to people unless you don't know what it is!! Here's the link

http://www.planetcat...naqolus_sp(l397)&image_id=11545

#16 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

http://www.planetcat...naqolus_sp(l397)&image_id=11545

#17 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

http://www.planetcat...species_id=1847

#18 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

Last link should work*****

#19 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

I googled a clown pleco this is what comes up http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/211/,  this is what they look like in my store as I said they come in varieties of pattern and colour but this looks like yours and like 90% of L103s i order.  But I have a 4 inch L015 and a 4 inch L103 instock so i can even put them in a bucket so you can see them side by side.

It very well could be some type of tiger but as matt said dont include the tail many clowns even in that random website i sent you the clowns have nicely striped tails.  Thats the problem with  these fish theyre so similar they get sold and mis labeled all the time.  If it helps to me it looks like a male tho? rofl

If it is a clown pleco theyre a great beginner pleco lol not to breed but to keep, drift wood a few plants and the odd algae wafer and fish foods and theyre set.  if its a tiger similar care should be sufficient and you can alter your regiments as you live and learn :)

As I said if you come in I have no problem showing you what I know about fish as many people here have probably seen you introduce yourself and ill spend hours and treat you like family basically lol.  Just ask for Steve.

#20 angelcraze

angelcraze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGatineau

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

Juiceyfish,

Well, if it were a L397, I would be a very happy girl!!!  Those are gorgeous.  But I don't think they are.  They look similar in makings, but they don't have that beautiful orange colouration.  My friend couldn't take her tank with her when she moved, so instead of letting all her fish die, I took care of the tank while I could, took what fish I could, and found homes for the rest and the tank.  She has no idea what they are though.

Juvie Pleco,

One of those fish you posted look similar, with the separate head bit, and the colour is more 'on', it's just, like you say, they label so many plecos as clown plecos, even when you google them, there are so many differences.  I bet half the average pleco owner (not pros like you two) don't even know what they have.  Maybe they don't even care.  But I do.

What did you mean by "clown pleco theyre a great beginner pleco lol not to breed but to keep"?  I am new at plecos, never had them, but I've had tanks (fish and plants) for years, and like to breed fish.  They are not good for beginners to breed, or just hard to breed?  I guess I could read that on my own lol, just wondering cuz you said it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users