Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

HELP!!!!! Might have a contaminated tank!:(

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hey everyone, let me start my story.

I tried selling my L144 pair, and after a few weeks of not selling, I decided to keep em. I went up to BA Hamilton and saw they had a few nice L144 females for sale. I decided to pick up 2 females. 

I got home and put them into a Q-tank, after a week of nothing noticeably wrong, I saw some small specs on the fins, and I called BA to find out what it could be, I was told "All of ours seem to have these and had them for a while, it appears to be just the way the fish is and not to be worried". So, I waited another 5 days, the spots didn't get worse, so I put the females with my pair in a 30 long planted, tons of saves/wood and shrimps. A few days went by, all seemed happy.

Yesterday morning, I woke up and ALL of my L144 fry were GONE, not dead, GONE, about 20-30, 2 week old fry. All the adult's looked healthy and fine, no shrimp loses, all shrimps molting, breeding, eating, grazing and happy.

This morning, 1 of the females I purchased is DEAD, her fins white and torn up, the other females fins are white and torn up, her eye's are sinking in. I quickly removed them and the alive but on the edge of death female is in a bucket with an airstone....

Now, I have no idea why this would have happened, I can only assume it had something to do with the females I purchased. As for over a year my L144 tank has had NO issues.

My friend said he was at BA a few hours ago, and the tank of L144 was almost completely empty, if they all sold or died I wouldn't know.

My remaining 2 L144 pair seem to be okay right now, but I am seriously worried.

My parameters:

Ammonia -0

Nitrate - 5-10ppm

Nitrite - 0

PH - 7.8

40-60% bi-daily W/C, treated with Nutrafin water conditioner

1 Sponge filter(for baby shrimps to feed easy)

1 30G Hob with carbon and filter foam (Changed both today as a safety measure)

PLEASE help! Picture is of alive female right now.

Thanks a bunch.. hopefully I can savage what I have left in the tank without any more deaths... :sad:

PS: I think I'm done buying livestock from boxstores... going to stick with breeders..

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140506_135126.jpg

#2 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Well for starters I would def stay away from franchise pet stores (petsmart , pets unlimited,etc) or myself had terrible incidents Ike this! As for your fry? That's super weird seeing how l144 are veggies ....I wish I had a answer for you though sounds like you may have had ick which is possible but don't know why your fry are gone? Sounds maybe like a territorial issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Why did you buy two more females when they were already breeding? Perhaps longer quarantine could have helped. Anyway too bad about the fry and good luck saving the female.

#4 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Why did you buy two more females when they were already breeding? Perhaps longer quarantine could have helped. Anyway too bad about the fry and good luck saving the female.

I was going to move them to a 75g tank as a quad in a few months, and I figured 4 would be better then 2 in a big tank.

#5 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

Ya too bad, is the female coming around?

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

Strange things can happen with imported pet store fish.

#7 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

Just a quick update, my remaining 2 (pair) don't show any physical signs of illness, although the male when he swims does sometimes shutter or shake fast side to side quickly. He does this every now and then. I went and picked up some Seachem MetroPlex to treat for parasites and bacteria. I have a feeling it's a parasite.

Hopefully I can recover them! Will keep this updated!

#8 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

Sounds internal to me, try treating them and especially if you talk very nicely and explain what happened the big als (every single manager is different on every day depending on his mood) may even credit you back for your loss or at least a partial. Mind you most do not do this all the time sometimes they can be nice tho if you are nice with them.  I try to quarantine my fish for atleast a month and if they look really happy in the quarantine tank sometimes ill leave them there for a few months just to be safe (mainly depending on the size of the fish and how much it likes to swim)

Steve

#9 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

Another update, pleco's have stopped shivering/jolting side to side when swimming, this is the 3rd day of treatment. Things are looking up, fingers crossed!

#10 jvision

jvision

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:35 AM

IME, that female looks like she was beat up badly by the male - I've seen females in that shape in several different pleco spp. after not cooperating with an overly amorous male.

Jason M.
125g: Tanganykans w. Syno. multipunctatus
75g: ABN Grow-out, Long-fin Cory. paleatus
35g: ABN Breeders, Cory. triliniatus, Cory aeneus
90g: Mbuna w. WC L349 Breeders
45g: L34 pair, P. changae breeders
35g: Hypancistrus angelicus
33g: Mbuna, ABN, L349 Grow-out

#11 Splak

Splak

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

That's interesting, I could see that, but the fact I lost 2 overnight is what sort of steers me away from that. But you never know :P

#12 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

I had a newly introduced female beaten up by the established female.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users