Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Goldfish vs platys as feeders

Myths goldfish feeders pikea

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

Just want to put out a general question to see what myth lies within the answer I was told.

I was at a Big box store in Calgary looking for some play mobiles for my Zebrina and Red pikes. I asked the young lad (over 18 and under 30) if he had any feeder goldfish. To which he replied I only have feeder platys. I never heard of this before and I looked at the platys and they were as nice as the ones in the tank (not saying much).
Guess what I was told the reason:
1) Goldfish are harder to import do to restrictions from CIFA
2) Platys are inexpensive and create less choking hazards for smaller predators
3) Goldfish have toxins in their livers that will cause the predator to succumb to it death
4) Platys are all that we are allowed to sell now since they take up less space and are less of a bioload on our filter system

Let me know your guess and why?

I will post the answer at the end of the week with the information I researched!

Curtis

#2 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm gunna guess number 4 because there is a lot of controversy over feeding carnivores live food due to not being "natural " which is true but there's also a lot of talk about feeders being overcrowded in there breeder tanks and create health issues that could get passed on to the hobbiests fish .... So I'm gunna guess 4 since they are a smaller fish then gold fish ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2054 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I would say number 1. Come to think of it I have not seen tanks full of feeder goldfish in any stores for quite awhile.

#4 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I sell feeder white cloud minnows since I can't import my feeder guppies due to CIFA crap, however I do still sell rosy red minnows and small feeder goldfish and large feeder goldfish and feeder mollies for saltwater.  I mean any fish really can be a feeder.   Adult cichlids that are really beat up and large ID sharks with messed up faces make excellent feeder fish for my sharks for example

#5 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

I was in my pet store today getting some bloodworms and I was checking out the fantails ad I asked the fella if they can be put in with tropical fish and he said can but their waste is solid therefore doesn't break down well and is highly toxic ! Soooooo maybe number 3???

#6 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

I sell feeder white cloud minnows since I can't import my feeder guppies due to CIFA crap, however I do still sell rosy red minnows and small feeder goldfish and large feeder goldfish and feeder mollies for saltwater.  I mean any fish really can be a feeder.   Adult cichlids that are really beat up and large ID sharks with messed up faces make excellent feeder fish for my sharks for example

Which number are you picking?

#7 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:21 AM

I wasnt guessing I was just saying all points are pretty valid except number 3? I don't like to contradict other stores or their reasoning behind what they do, as a store you deal with enough criticism from customers no need it from other stores :P

#8 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:58 AM

I see tanks of feeder goldfish here all the time yet.

#9 juiceyfish

juiceyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

So what's the theory to this one?? Kinda curious haha

#10 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

So the response from the fish manager was 3) but the true reason is 1).

CFIA has put heavier restrictions on the importation of goldfish as more and more of them find their way into our rivers thru flushing them down toilets and general release into lakes.
So it intrigued me to hear the reason as 3) and I did am little google search.

#11 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

TFH link here but it really talks about overfeeding a the cause of death -
http://www.tfhmagazi...hs-debunked.htm

Goldfish like other foods should be fed as a balanced part of the fish's diet. Overfeeding any animal in our care is paramount to death as the fish have many competitors and predators in nature that make them move about and restrict the amount of intake.

#12 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2054 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

If  you ever worked or visited a sewage treatment plant you would know that it would be impossible for any fish to go though the process alive. Only someone deliberately dumping them in a storm sewer or a waterway is the only way they could get established. The diseases that could come from any farmed or domestic fish is the greatest threat. A number of years ago Koi from Israel caused massive losses in the pet fish trade due to a koi virus.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users