Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

making your own gel foods

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:34 AM

greetings all, has anyone out there ever tried making their own gel foods? being that I'm a chef I have access to gelatin, pectin etc and was wondering since I also have access to alot of fish and veg trimmings has anyone ever tried making their own gel foods?

any advice/experience is appreciated, 

thanks

Mike

#2 jvision

jvision

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

If you do a search on PlanetCatfish, you'll find a few good recipes. 

Jason M.
125g: Tanganykans w. Syno. multipunctatus
75g: ABN Grow-out, Long-fin Cory. paleatus
35g: ABN Breeders, Cory. triliniatus, Cory aeneus
90g: Mbuna w. WC L349 Breeders
45g: L34 pair, P. changae breeders
35g: Hypancistrus angelicus
33g: Mbuna, ABN, L349 Grow-out

#3 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yes and it's quite fun to do. One thing I found is that a good blender is essential and I mean a blendtec or vitamix.
Secondly do not boil the veggies but they should be blanched or steamed to all them to be broken down in to fine particulate for a smooth consistency.
Fort plecos I have used kale, spinach (frozen is best) yam, zucchini without the seeds, squash and cornstarch or potato starch. Then I dissolve the half the package of agar (I get it from Chinatown in Calgary) not pectin and heat that up on the side. I also add a lot of vitamins but one has to be careful not to add to much as they can really alter the taste and smell of the food. I crush B1, B6, B12, D,A,C and inositol then add it to the blended food as a condensed dissolved liquid and add it to the agar and vegetable at the same time and blend on high.
Then put it into cookie sheets to cool and set up. Slice with a pizza cutter and put into freezer bags and freeze

#4 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:36 AM

cool thanks Curtis, I also have access to a circulator and a vaccum sealer so I will be experimenting with different recipes. have you found garlic to be an essential additive?

#5 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Garlic is good but it can overpower the taste of the food and the key to a good recipe is not to have the meds overpower the attractant of the food. I prefer some small doses of metro vs garlic as a dewormer or even pyrapam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users