Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

How much salt to use to cure ich on my l240

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Extremecichlids

Extremecichlids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Hi

I'm just wondering how much salt to use to treat my l240 plecos, they are in a 75g tank and I just noticed one with ich

Thanks for the help

Nick
  • Tibag4br likes this

#2 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

Take into account the amount of gravel/decorations rocks and such then calculate the gallons of water in a tank (my 18 gallon tank i can do a waterchange and 5 gallons is half the water)  Remove live plants and then put in tsp at a time until you hit the salinity of 1.001 is what i do haha depending on the health and stability of the fish in the tank sometimes you can take it higher but monitor the fish and increasing salt levels slowly is best to make sure they dont start stressing, Ive never had ich at home so all the fish that im treating are usually freshly imported weak guys

#3 Extremecichlids

Extremecichlids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Ok thanks for the info

#4 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

In treating ick you have to remember to treat the cause as ick is like a common cold. When a fish is stressed it does not produce a slime coat which acts as a barrier to this disease. Check to see if your ammonia levels are creeping up especially with a high pH. Small amounts of ammonia are deadly at high pH especially over 7.6 - 8.4.
Put some ammonia remover in the filter, clean half of the filter sponges and then add up to 3% pickling or kosher salt to the water. This aids in reducing a lot stress on the body functions of the fish.

#5 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

I forgot to add a bit about how effective a UV Sterilizer can be as well.

UV sterilizers will only work on free floating parasites/bacteria and as well you should read the optimum flow rate on the kill function of your UV vs the clarification function which essentially kills the algae in the tank creating clear optical water. If your flow rate is in question get a 5 gallon bucket and take the output hose on the filter and time how long it takes to fill it up. From there you can adjust the output valve on your filter and put a white pen mark on the optimal setting and go from there.

Ammonia levels in high pH are the leading causes of death for most fish, diseases are secondary and injuries are rare to minor causes of death. Over filter the water, do water changes and feed a varied diet (stop light foods for kids and fish are the same!) with a vitamin supplement and you will see some great looking fish.
I have killed my fair share and I am guilty of everything - my learning experience has come at the many deaths of some beautiful fish! Thank goodness Jesus is not a fish or I will have a horrible time getting into Heaven!!

#6 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

I would put around 3 cups of salt in a 75 gallon tank (with ZERO MEDS).  None of this tsp at a time business.  I just go into my water softener and grab a bunch of salt and throw it all in the tank, the big salt crystals take a bit of time to dissolve in the tank.   It takes about 2-3 days to start working.

Because i have very few tanks now (lack of QT), I also run a UV a few days before new fish come and leave it on for about a month after they are in the tank.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#7 Extremecichlids

Extremecichlids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thanks guys for the great info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users