Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Feeding Kale

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Kale is an excellent food for Bushynose Plecos or any that eat greens. Buy a bunch and freeze in a plastic bag. To feed it I clip a piece to a plastic clothes pin to make it sink. They don't eat it right away but wait for a day or two until it breaks down and then swarm it. The most nutritious food they can eat.

Food Fact: Kale is a form of cabbage that contains all 9 essential amino acids needed to form the proteins within the human body, plus, 9 other non-essential ones for a total of 18. It also contains more omega-3 than omega-6, which is almost unheard of in nature. Its nutritional density, in fact, is virtually unparalleled among green leafy vegetables.

• Plecoholic likes this

#2 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

Why not parboil it?  Or does that reduce its nutrientional value?  I've never eaten or served kale, so I'm curious to know.

How many addictions can I have without overload?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Plecoholic

Plecoholic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKeswick

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

Why not parboil it?  Or does that reduce its nutrientional value?  I've never eaten or served kale, so I'm curious to know.

Par boiling anything reduces it's nutritional value.
It's definately considered a super food and it's good for man and beasts.
Although I don't prefer the taste myself I grow it at my house in summer and freeze it along with a bunch of other Plec veggies.
Mine really love snap peas

Thanks
Ted.K.
YRPDAC Group
http://www.youtube.c...ser/YRPDACGroup

#4 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

I'm working in a southern restaurant currently and we regularly have collard greens on the menu. I got good results with all my fish just dipping the greens in boiling water for 10 secs, helps to wash off any impurities too. works for kale, collards, mustard greens

#5 Plecoholic

Plecoholic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKeswick

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Kale is an excellent food for Bushynose Plecos or any that eat greens. Buy a bunch and freeze in a plastic bag. To feed it I clip a piece to a plastic clothes pin to make it sink. They don't eat it right away but wait for a day or two until it breaks down and then swarm it. The most nutritious food they can eat.

Food Fact: Kale is a form of cabbage that contains all 9 essential amino acids needed to form the proteins within the human body, plus, 9 other non-essential ones for a total of 18. It also contains more omega-3 than omega-6, which is almost unheard of in nature. Its nutritional density, in fact, is virtually unparalleled among green leafy vegetables.

Maybe useful: normally beef we eat use to be high in omega 3s but since the evolution of feeds changed to corn it is much higher in omega 6s therefore is one of the reasons people are now supplementing omega 3s.. Good post Bwhiskered!!!!

Thanks
Ted.K.
YRPDAC Group

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

I grow the Red Russian Kale in my garden and freeze it to feed the plecos in winter. I find it bitter to my taste. I may try mixing some with Swiss Chard next summer.

#7 Plecoholic

Plecoholic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKeswick

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Yes I find it to taste earthy as well but it grows well and there always leftovers to be frozen. Lol

Thanks
Ted.K.
YRPDAC Group

#8 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

I blend my kale with greek yogurt, half a banana, some berries and half a can of coconut milk, it's a delicious and nutritious smoothie!

#9 Pamelajo

Pamelajo

CP Donator

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Kale is one of the ingredients in my Critter Crumbs (Regular & Veggie).  I have used it for years in my tanks, I freeze it first.

For human consumption try Kale Chips, grease cookie sheet with olive oil, lay out kale, spritz with oil and then I sprinkle with

Epicure's Alder Smoked Sea Salt.

Then Bake.

Critter Crumbs
Homemade Foods for Fish, Shrimp, Snails and Plecos made with all natural ingredients

http://pamelajo.webs.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users