Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Handling Your Plecos

netting plecos handling plecos catching plecos

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

How do you catch your plecos?  Small ones with a net?  Okay what about the big ones - with a net too?  How do you know how to handle them/pick them up?  I've seen many pictures with a pleco held between two fingers by its mouth and head and a then also by their top fin.  Is there any set rule?

• cjerrom, Gbagssmlen, Tibag4br and 1 other like this

#2 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I usually catch them all with a net. Some of the larger ones may get their spines by the mouth caught or tangled in the net but when you submerse the net in the tank they get themselves free.

#3 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Large ones with two nets - one to corral and the other to push and keep them inside. Especially the 12-20" fellas. Pseudacanthicus need gloves as their spines cut your hands but its easiest to pick them up by their bony head plates out of a box than to get them balled up in a net!

#4 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Big Pseudas, a rubber bass net.  

Big Panaques, I just pick them up, they are easiest that way over nets.

Scobis scare the crap out of me catching by hand, their teeth are SHARP and LONG!

Small plecos, hands, nets whatever is fastest at the time.

IMG_0551_zpsab5adf70.jpg

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#5 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

I bought a small rubber fishing net last time I had to move everything from my 75 to the 125. worked great for all the plecos and the larger fish like silver dollars too

#6 h2osanity

h2osanity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFergus, ON

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

I use the finest gauge net I can buy and if they get caught up then I leave them to sort themselves out.  Usually takes less than a minute.  Works for loaches too.

Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way Nature intended. And this is all very natural and organic and in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believes that there is nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fiber and, in some cases, backbone. - Terry Pratchett

#7 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

The super fine nets don't work with the big pseudas, they shred them.  Great for BN tho.

Rich

CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#8 Divinehammer

Divinehammer

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park Alberta

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

I used gloved hands to catch mine, find it way easier than chasing them around the tank with a net, same for my 24" RTC or 12" Oscars, never seen a rubber net have to look into that, for when I go to move the RTC to the 2000 gallon tank.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I don't keep fish I keep water!
Check out my 240 gallon build on DIYfishkeepers.com

#9 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

I used gloved hands to catch mine, find it way easier than chasing them around the tank with a net, same for my 24" RTC or 12" Oscars, never seen a rubber net have to look into that, for when I go to move the RTC to the 2000 gallon tank.

Rubber net, any fishing store has them, cheap too.

• Divinehammer likes this

Rich

emailsig.png

#10 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

yep either fishing store or canadian tire is where I got mine

#11 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Hillbilly Hand fish the big buggers by the face right behind the eyes lol.  I catch em outta the pond to show little kids and awe them when Im bored, they cant swim backwards.  Smaller guys I just scare em into a net if they get tangled let them figure it out

#12 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Grabbing a foot long pseuda by hand isn't fun, I do it, but its got a lot of potential to draw blood.

Rich

emailsig.png

#13 Samantha

Samantha

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

Yes, that sounds like it would scare the crap out of me!  I've yet to handle my bigger "juvenille" blue phantoms or firespots by hand.  Should be interesting when I do.

#14 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Haha I have a pond of 6-24 inch common and spotted sail fin plecos in the koi pond where I get little kids to "help me feed them" and then ill show them how you can grab these common guys by the forehead and they are all just stunned in amazement lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users