Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Spawning Corydoras caudimaculatus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I have had Corydoras caudimaculatus for 40 years or more. I had spawnings on many occasions but could never get a hatch. A few years ago I started getting a small hatch but the fry would always die soon after hatching. Last year I finally raised 2. That was the turning point as they grew into young fertile males. This year I succeeded in raising 9 that are now an inch long. This was done in an act of desperation when I moved dying fry from a bowl into the fry saver with some King Tiger fry. From then on the dying stopped and they thrived and grew quickly. They are now in the tank with my King Tiger breeders and doing just fine. At the moment I have another spawning of about 20 just hatched in a bowl and as soon as I get their water changed over to that of the Tiger tank they are going in there in the fry saver.
Never give up on a quest. You can only learn from your failures.

#2 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3008 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Do you think it is just that they need the shallow water of the fry saver?

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#3 wing

wing

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I had some experience with Panda or Albino Cory hatch for few weeks. Whenever water changed with cold tap water, next day, always have some eggs appear in the glass around 30 eggs.
First patch, I took all the eggs to the breeder box without airstone, next day they turned to dark brown with fungus. Failed first time.
Second patch, I saw some eggs with black thing moving. Then I moved them in the breeder box, next day, all disappeared. Failed again.
Third patch, Same thing happen, but I put them in the breeder box without holes. Finally, next day morning 10 of the fry. So happy to see them.
Then I had set up a 1-2 gal setup for them now. But what should I feed them now? I try Hikari sinking wafers, but they seen not eating it.

#4 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Do you think it is just that they need the shallow water of the fry saver?

I think that as soon as you start to feed them the nitrates rise. They need the water flow and continuous change from the staple water conditions in a large tank.

#5 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

I had some experience with Panda or Albino Cory hatch for few weeks. Whenever water changed with cold tap water, next day, always have some eggs appear in the glass around 30 eggs.
First patch, I took all the eggs to the breeder box without airstone, next day they turned to dark brown with fungus. Failed first time.
Second patch, I saw some eggs with black thing moving. Then I moved them in the breeder box, next day, all disappeared. Failed again.
Third patch, Same thing happen, but I put them in the breeder box without holes. Finally, next day morning 10 of the fry. So happy to see them.
Then I had set up a 1-2 gal setup for them now. But what should I feed them now? I try Hikari sinking wafers, but they seen not eating it.

I take the eggs and move them to a bowl. I add a drop of acriflavine or methylene blue and put in an air stone. When they hatch in 4 to 5 days I change half of the water. In another 3 days the yolk sac is gone and they are ready to start eating micro worms after nearly a week they should be fed baby brine shrimp or golden pearls. I would not advise putting them in a fry saver before they are ready to eat. During my time in the hobby I have raised at least a few thousand.

#6 wing

wing

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I take the eggs and move them to a bowl. I add a drop of acriflavine or methylene blue and put in an air stone. When they hatch in 4 to 5 days I change half of the water. In another 3 days the yolk sac is gone and they are ready to start eating micro worms after nearly a week they should be fed baby brine shrimp or golden pearls. I would not advise putting them in a fry saver before they are ready to eat. During my time in the hobby I have raised at least a few thousand.

Thank you for your advice.

#7 Shawn84

Shawn84

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Knowledge through experience is a powerful thing. Congratulation Charlie on being able to produce more fry alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users