Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Cheap Pleco Food?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nighttigerz

nighttigerz

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I've been using Hikari Sinking Wafers for my Bristlenose plecos and the price of it is quite expensive because it's a small bag too and it doesn't last really that long, I know its a good quality food but is there any more good brands that costs cheaper with more amount then Hikari Sinking Wafers? And what kind of vegetables can I feed my bristlenose plecos? I feed them cucumber, zuchunni, and I tried peas but they don't have much interest in peas.. So I don't know what to feed besides those 3 or 4 food, also they eat tropical fish flakes too.

-Eric

#2 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Try the sticks or pellets from :

Angelfin, http://angelfins.ca/...4bd50774ec78da6

Or John:http://gtaaquaria.co...7015#post237015

New Life Spectrum has very good stuff. I usually get growth formula, 1mm thera A, and algae wafers in their 5 lbs pails.

#3 jackson

jackson

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Try NLS mega fish bucket costs 60 from angelfins and I have yet to see any of my fish refuse it.
Even my puffer eats them and puffers don't eat pellets.

I also like the northfin kelp pellet my fish go nuts for them. The veggie pellets are also liked by them.

Vegetables-
I'll list a few that are cheap and are loved by my guys

Sweet potato, white potato, carrots, green peas, turnips, radish, parsley, bell peppers, squash any type is fine

HTH

#4 dogger99

dogger99

CP Donator

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

BS will graze on algae and other surface growing organisms as well as eating algae wafers or tablets, flake food, squash, spinach, cucumber, sweet potato, zucchini, green beans and peas however they have been known to accept frozen bloodworms as part of their diet. Aquarium specimens may starve for lack of algae or other plant matter; algae wafers or other low-protein foods are recommended. Keepers should watch for the abdomen to take on a sunken appearance, indicating insufficient nutrition.

Like other plecos benefit from the addition of bogwood, which they will rasp at and use as a hiding place - in the absence of other plant matter (sources of fibre) wood may be essential to the survival of these fish in the aquarium as it helps digestion of typically high protein fish food.

#5 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Try collard greens, kale, frozen Brussels sprouts and snow peas. I know someone that fed dandelion greens. They all love Tetra Color Granules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users