Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

small growth on side

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cptjeeves

Cptjeeves

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

hey all i have about a 13" common pleco ( his name is handsome jack) its in my 90 gal mbuna tank crushed coral bottom all the nitrates and good and there is more then enough filtration the filter was rated for a 200 gal tank. He seems to have a small growth on his side
its not very big only maybe 3-4 mm sorry about the image its taken on my phone. i was wondering if anyone knew what it was before i start throwing chemicals at him
thanks steve

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1423[1].jpg

• Gbagssmcvq likes this

#2 Cptjeeves

Cptjeeves

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

anybody? you cant see it well in this picture but at times it seems more reddish ? should it be something to worry about it continues to be there after another 30% water change. he is still eating tho and all the water parameters are normal

#3 jackson

jackson

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

look up lymphocytes

Seems to be a common issue with older plecos of pterygoplichthys sp

Not much you can do I think except keep the water clean and treat the fish as you usually do.

It's best to do some research on your own. I have no experience with this but do know that some people perform home surgery to remove them. I wouldn't unless it gets in the way of it's normal activities

HTH

#4 Hitch

Hitch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

look up lymphocytes

Not much you can do I think except keep the water clean and treat the fish as you usually do.

It's best to do some research on your own. I have no experience with this but do know that some people perform home surgery to remove them. I wouldn't unless it gets in the way of it's normal activities

HTH

you sure you mean lymphocytes? since they are essentially a type of white blood cells present in most vertebral animals and some others. And are an essential part of the immune system.

#5 jackson

jackson

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yup wrong one lol

lymphocystis virus

I hope that's right

Edit- just check it's the correct spelling

Look it up see what they say about it

#6 Divinehammer

Divinehammer

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park Alberta

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

yup exactly what it is I have a Spotted highfin with the same thing, just a plain old virus, keep what you are doing with the water changes and normal feeding and it will be fine, from what I read earlier on it, caused by stress or poor water conditions or cuts and scrapes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I don't keep fish I keep water!
Check out my 240 gallon build on DIYfishkeepers.com

#7 Adan8100

Adan8100

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

look up lymphocytes

HTH

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that you can do except keep the water clean and treat the fish as you usually do. And It is best to do some research on your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users