Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Veggie List for Plecos

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

This list was compiled over at PlecoFanatics.com

This is a list of a lot of Vegetables and some fruit that can be fed to your plecs. Also included are some suggestions for weighing the veg down in the tank.

IMPORTANT

1. Make sure you have an ID of your plec to ensure the correct dietary needs are met.
2. A varied diet of veg+fruit is needed so that nutritional needs are fulfilled.
3. Don't forget to include algae wafers, meat, and wood depending on species of plec.
4. If you put in anything that contains the skin or rind be sure to scrub it first to get rid of any pesticides.

STARTER LIST
this is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.
(Thank you to everyone who voted in the veggie poll and all the inputPosted Image)

Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Peas (deshelled)
Sweet Potato
Green Beans
Melon/Melon rind

OTHER VEGETABLES AND FRUIT

Apple( doesn't seem to be too popular)
Asparagus
Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Broccoli/Stalk
Butternut Squash+ other squash
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Cauliflower/Stalk
Carrot
Coconut
Grapes
Kale/Collard Greens
Kiwi Fruit
Lettuce
Lima Beans
Mango
Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it. Good exercise Posted Image
Papaya
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Sprouts
Swede
Tomato
Yam

Most veg can be given raw but if you find no-one is interested then try blanching.
Don't leave veggies and esp fruit in for too long otherwise you can end up with water quality problems. The easiest approach is to add them in the evening and remove in the morning.

SUGGESTIONS FOR WEIGHING DOWN VEG

Stainless Steel spoon(push the spoon through the veg)
Stainless Steel fork(there have been suggestions that plecs have hurt themselves on the prongs of forks, use at your own risk)
A rubber band/rock
Suction capped Veggie clip (fish shops usually sell these)
Screwcumber http://www.screwcumb...ber_online.html

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#2 Dr.Stretch

Dr.Stretch

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

Much appreciated.
I thank you, and my plecos thank you :D.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Gray"]Collection to date:
2 X L201 Inspecior
2 X L182 Straight Bristlenose
2 X L010A Red Lizards
6 X L066 King tiger
4 X The Royal Farlowella (Sturisoma Panamense)
4 X L260 Queen Arabesque
4 X L204 Flash
1 X Long fin albino
1 X Long fin brown
5 X L134 Leopard Frog
8 X L183 White seam

#3 KnaveTO

KnaveTO

CP Donator

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

I will state those screwcumbers are great. Good weight to them and the hold everything in its place. The only veggie I have had any issue with when using this device is mushrooms... they are too light for even that to weigh down
Ross

Plec List
3 - ABN (Ancistrus sp.)
3 - L066 King Tiger (Hypancistrus sp.)
2 - L340 Mega Clown (Hypancistrus sp.)
1 - L191 Dull Eyed Royal (Panaque sp.)
1 - L204 Flash (Panaque sp.)
1 - L134 Leopard Frog (Peckoltia sp.)

#4 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Question, do you know if they can eat parsnips and or rutabega/turnip? Mine seemed to like blanched carrots, and sweet potatoes seem to be popular for other people, so I was thinking similar root veg might work for them.

#5 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

Try it and see!

I recently put some Yucca Root and they are going crazy over it! Panaques will LOVE this food, and it can be found in most asian markets.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#6 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:42 AM

never tried turnips or parsnips, i'm too busy eating them lol

still a fave for all my guys are broccoli stems, put some in last night and they were pretty beat up when I got up this morning

#7 Pamelajo

Pamelajo

CP Donator

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

never tried turnips or parsnips, i'm too busy eating them lol

still a fave for all my guys are broccoli stems, put some in last night and they were pretty beat up when I got up this morning

They are a big fav here too.

Critter Crumbs
Homemade Foods for Fish, Shrimp, Snails and Plecos made with all natural ingredients

http://pamelajo.webs.com/

#8 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

We do often have frozen broccoli/cauliflower around here, neither of which I have tried yet. I just thought that since they seem to like carrot, that other sweet root veggies might do the trick. Maybe its the texture and they like more fibrous things?

#9 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

We do often have frozen broccoli/cauliflower around here, neither of which I have tried yet. I just thought that since they seem to like carrot, that other sweet root veggies might do the trick. Maybe its the texture and they like more fibrous things?

You can try anything. The worst thing that can happen is they don't eat it. :D People are freaked out when they see I put in raw unpeeled carrots, but the panaque love them and it really brings out the orange in my L226. Messes up the colour of my L128's though. :D
How many addictions can I have without overload?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2047 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

A good free food this time of year is Dandelion Leaves. Some people freeze them first to help break them down.

#11 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Oh, I'm sure that is abundant as well as many other wild plants that are edible. I do have some knowledge on local wild plants that are edible, at least to humans, but I don't always know if a certain item might contain a substance that is non-toxic to humans but dangerous to fish. More than anything that's why I ask to try to bounce around ideas things that I could try that might work better for them. My latest thing is to take a half-cooked veggie and kind of grate it into the cactus wood (its despined and has lots of little gaps that the bits can get into) and they really seem to like that approach, as I hear them rasping on the wood at night to get the good stuff. More than anything, I just want to make sure they get some fresh veggies in their diets consistently. Though I have to say I'd be a lot more worried about them without those Critter Crumbs!

#12 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2047 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

Do you think that anyone monitors the food that they eat in the wild. If it falls in the water they taste it and if it tastes good they eat it. If they don't like the taste they leave it alone.

#13 Pamelajo

Pamelajo

CP Donator

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

Though I have to say I'd be a lot more worried about them without those Critter Crumbs!

:secretsmile: Thanks

Critter Crumbs
Homemade Foods for Fish, Shrimp, Snails and Plecos made with all natural ingredients

http://pamelajo.webs.com/

#14 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

True. In the wild they would just have to eat whatever is available. I admit I am a worry wart :blush: I just know how important it is for them to get enough vegetable matter and fibre to stay healthy. I read comments here all the time and it is amazing how even plecos of the same type can have different likes and dislikes; of course, there are a few veggies that seem to be accepted by almost everyone.

I'll have to let you know how the blanched parsnip and/or rutabega experiment goes. I figure since they really like carrots and sweet potatoes, that other veggies of a similar type would be accepted too.

And Pam, you are most certainly welcome. I have to say that it gives me more peace of mind knowing they are getting a bit of everything with the critter crumbs. Even my male pleco who is very shy comes sneaking out after the lights go out and those are dropped in :secretsmile:

#15 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

I just thought I'd let you know I finally was able to try parsnips with my plecos last night, and it was a huge success. I pretty much just cleaned up a parsnip top and attached it to a piece of wood with a rubber band and within less than an hour of lights out, my typically shy male pleco was all over it. No joke, he was hogging it almost all night. It's a good thing the females are less shy. Honestly, I didn't even get this kind of response with raw carrots... so if your plecos like carrots, they will probably love parsnip. I can't say I blame them; they're high in fibre, folic acid, magnesium, vitamins B2 (riboflavin), B6 and E. The only thing I will mention though is that they contain a bit more copper than carrots, however, if you use raw carrots without concern on a regular basis, parsnip might be something interesting to try :secretsmile:

#16 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

So last night I decided to have a nectarine for dessert. After cutting it up I ended up with a pit with quite a lot of meat left. I was like, "why not," and decided to toss it in, knowing that the cories will eat ANYTHING if the plecos did not. It wasn't long before lights out that my male LF AB BN was jumping all over it. You can always tell when they are happy because their dorsal (back) fins go up. He spent most of the night wrestling with the pit to get as much food off as he could. So food + exercise = happy pleco and one night where my plants are not uprooted! And the natural weight of the pit makes it sink immediately. Double points :)

#17 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

And the natural weight of the pit makes it sink immediately. Double points :)

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Not having to weight it is good.
How many addictions can I have without overload?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:14 AM

Heh, yeah. I wasn't sure how well they would receive it but I figured why not give it a whirl. I agree with not having to weight. I still haven't gotten some screwcumbers yet. Usually I just rubber band whatever it is to a piece of wood, let them sort it out. That can be a bit of a pain though so all the more helpful it is when things have natural weight.

#19 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2047 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

I use the plastic clothes pins from Dollarama they add just enough weight to make most things sink. They only cost a dollar for 20. They also have stainless steel clips at 3 for a dollar. They all last about 6 months as the springs are only steel.

#20 Jennifer Griffin

Jennifer Griffin

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

That's a really good idea. I will look into that as it would be nice to have an easier way to add/remove veggies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users