Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Ich Outbreak

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Ok, I messed up. Got a couple new fish on my birthday (small school of silver dollars, and a couple sterbai cories)

Added them to the tank without Qt, mixed in the fish store water..... Here we are over a week later and I saw my geos flashing a couple days ago and thought nothing of it. Upon closer inspection all of my free swimming fish have small white spots, certainly ich.

Anyway, I have a mast array of meds at my disposal, I'm reading good things about Kordon brand Ich Cure.

My real concern is safety of my plecos, need advice on good meds that are pleco safe, already doing large active water changes.

Pleco pros please advise,
thanks
Mike

#2 Hitch

Hitch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Here is the protocol I always use:

Day1:
raise temp to 86F (usually not a prob since all of my tanks are usually around 82-84 anyways).
add 1 Tsp of salt per 5 gals of water (I usually divide this in half, so if I have a 20 gal, I would put in 2 Tsp at one time, and then wait like 2 hours and put in another 2 TSP).

Day2:
Add the same amount of salt as Day1
add 1 teaspoon of Kordan's Rid-Ich+ per 10gals of water (again, if you have a large tank, divide dosing in half).

Day3:
Add same amount of salt and Rid-Ich

Day4:
Stop the salt
Keep dosing the Rid-Ich

Day5-8:
Dose Rid-Ich

#3 Rush2112

Rush2112

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I have used Kordon Ich cure for my plecos with good results. Don't overdose just follow the instructions.
Hitch's protocol is very good. Should work nicely.

#4 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I should have mentioned, its a 75gal tank, currently at 80f, I change 40/50% water once a week.
Would metro be an effective treatment? Only asking as I have alot of metro in my fish medicine bag.
Thanks

#5 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

Metro wouldnt be as good, I use coopermine or whatever it is personally because that is what I have at my disposal at 1/3rd dossages a day according to the bottle and it works brilliantly. Temperature to 86 is a very important thing but you may have to add an airstone because the oxygen levels could drop in high temperatures.

Steve

#6 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Cupramine

yea I think I have some of that kicking around too.
Gonna let things chill after the large water change and start dosing tomorrow

#7 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

I recently on a small outbreak and I used rid ich with good results. My royal, Adonis and l204s were all fine. I think I treated 3 or 4 times and just uped my temperature. It seemed to go away quickly.

#8 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Kordon ick cure is good, it's fine for pleco as its malachite green salt, so better for scaleless fish. I have used it, temp to 85 and more oxygen. Week or so is good.

#9 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Cupramine is copper, I tired it once and plecos didn't react too good. Kordon is better

#10 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Hense I said a third of a dose its a very concentrated medication :P I use it on plecos all the time at the store even on crawfish sometimes as long as its a third of a dose at a time it wont harm stuff. Ive seen crawfish live through full on ich treat ments with the copper nevermind a pleco haha

#11 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

yep, picked up Kordon Ich Attack at BA North York tonite

currently raising the temp slowly, gotta remove my carbon pad from my 2217 and then I will start dosing, wish me luck

#12 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Sorry didn't see that. Well for me I want to use a med at recommend dose that's all. Kordon ick cure is made for catfish. Says so on the back.

#13 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

I'm still a fan of Quick Cure, but good luck finding it. Stupid Canadian gov banned all the fish meds that worked.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#14 Dutch

Dutch

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

I never full dose cuupermine on any freshwater fish haha half dose at most on cichlids and the live bearers, catfish and such only 1/3 dose. We use a 10x concentrated mix with formaldhyde however its spelt on our netdips tho to kill parasites and bacteria and that works great lmfao. Thats why its always on hand in bulk for me to use. Marine fish tho can handle full doses not sure why, it must react differently in salt water, either way its not as bad as prazi pro, that shit is like 1/10th of a dose of what the bottle says can cause brain damage to the fish and such.

#15 kkaamm

kkaamm

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I always use Seachem Paraguard when I add new fish to a tank. Paraguard helps eradicate many ectoparasites (eg ick, etc,) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions. Working extremely well for me. Goggle its feedback posted by other users.

#16 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

The Ick has gotten ALOT worse. I followed the instructions that Hitch posted and I dosed day 4 today before I went to work, I got home now and checked the tank and my geos are covered with spots, and my two L14's who previously didnt have any spots now have them as well.

Am I using an inferior product? I'm using Kordon Ich Attack which is described as an organic natural remedy. I've found "natural" fish remedies like pima and melafix do fuck all to cure fish.

All of the free swimmers (silver dollars, columbian tetras, red tailed hemiodius) are fine, but all the bottom feeders/gravel sifters have ICK. Would it be wise to remove the gravel from the tank? I have a very thin layer of gravel, only about an inch, that I gravel vac every time I do a water change.....

help guys, I'm really worried.

#17 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

There are two kordon ick products, one is the herbal one, and one is the with malachite green salts. I use the chemical one as I don't believe in herbal. That one has worked for me. High heat at least 85. Salt per 5 to 10g and the med. no way ick can survive all that. Also more oxygen as heat kills oxygen.

Cover the tank too to get the fish as relaxed as possible.

#18 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

I would remove gravel as well, and clean your media. U want it as clean as possible for the med to kill everything. Malachite green is a strong chemical, so if that doesn't work....well..maybe copper then.

#19 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Go to pets smart , they actually have a decent line of meds, and the kordon stuff

#20 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

k, both canisters im running on this tank have been cleaned recently, one over a week ago, the other about 3 weeks ago.

going shopping for more meds today, thinking of dosing twice daily with this herbal stuff until its done, which they actually recommend on the kordon website. its weird, I went to work and things were not too bad, I came back 12+ hours later and it looks like the life cycle of the ick turned over in that amount of time. I'm going to turn off my powerhead, as the ick parasite moves around in the water. I've still got alot of surface agitation from the two filter outtakes and i'm running two strong airstones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users