Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Hi to you all from an old fart from Norway

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Let me introduse myself, I am Kai and I am a norwegian, almost 70 winters old. I have only been on the pleco sceen for a couple of years, but that does not mean that I a m a newbe to the aqatic hobby. I have been in to the discus sceen for over 41 years and started with discus way before the asians new there was discus in amazon.
I have a webpage, (www.discuspagenorway.com) and you are more than welcome to have a look, but it is in norwegian, but why not use Google translate. I know it is'nt perfect, but nor am I.

Cheers, Kai

#2 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3036 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Welcome! Will have to checkout your page shortly :)

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#3 Rush2112

Rush2112

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hello Kai,

Welcome. I also raised discus for a long time before moving to fancy plecos. I still keep a few discus but am too busy to breed them. Your discus are beautiful with perfect round shape. I particularly like the nice Alenquer Male in the top row of your gallery.
I like your L340 pleco. How big do they get?

Gino

#4 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hi Gino
L-340 gets to about 5" on a good day and that goes for most of the Hypancistrus verieties.
I am breeding the L-340, L-333, L-134 and the L-201 at the moment, but I have breeding groups of L-015, 066, 199, 260 and the 270 and all my groups consist of approx 6 - 10 fish. ratio of male / females about 30 / 70 and that seems to work out pretty well.
I do not have any L-046 as I've got a mate that breeds them and I dont fancy musseling in on his patch. Prices here for those is about US$ 100,- for 1,5" juveniles and adults go for around US$ 500,-.
I have a converted garage where I keep my fish, what's mentioned above, but about 7 breeding pairs of WC discus as well. In fact, two of my pairs laid eggs tonight so I am hoping all is going to turn out for the better. I have had them for over a year so it is about time.
I did notice that you were from Toronto. I have been there, long time ago, about 1966 I think it was, nice city. I were in the merchant navy back then, on an oiltanker. Spent three years on it, mostly going around the UK coast.

Go easy on me as my english is a bit rusty, but I am trying my best.

Cheers, Kai

#5 Rush2112

Rush2112

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Kai,
Your English is fine.

I have bred a few hypans including L46, L66, L201 and L262. I don't have females for my two adult male L333 and have been looking for them a long time. Check out my video on Youtube

cheers
Gino

#6 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Very nice 333, but what's the clowns doing there.
You keep all your tanks without substrate ?, so do I, can't beat it where cleaning is conserned.
What type of filtration is most common in Canada / us.
I use only fluidized bed (Lifegard) have done from around 1990, there is no equal.
Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

#7 Rush2112

Rush2112

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thank you.

Yes most of my tanks are bare bottom. The big clown loaches are my wife's. We've raised them from tiny young ones. Of course, the minute I find some girls for my L333 they will be going in a separate tank away from the clowns!

I use various types of cannister filters, eheim, fluval etc. The L333 plecos are on a multitank system with drilled overflow piping leading to a central wet dry filter with circulating pump.

Nice chatting. ttyl.

#8 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thanks Gino
Nice chatting to you to.
I am off to bed now as the time here in Norway is allmost 02.30AM
Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

#9 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Welcome to the forum. Always happy to see another long time hobbyist come on board.

Charlie

#10 Lukan

Lukan

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Welcome Kai,

Nice to a see a few menbers here who use to keep and still keep discus also migrating to pleco keeping. I have personally seen Bwhiskered, Gino and Altum Nuts collections of discus and plecos.

Cheers,
Marte

#11 tobalman

tobalman

CP Donator

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hello and welcome to this site, you're 29 years older than me but you didn't sound too old at all. I have kept a few L number and my filter mainly "Hang on the back" such as aquaclear or emperor with an addition of sponge filter.

#12 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hello and welcome to this site, you're 29 years older than me but you didn't sound too old at all. I have kept a few L number and my filter mainly "Hang on the back" such as aquaclear or emperor with an addition of sponge filter.

Funny you should say that. I have a mate whom is a discuskeeper and has been doing so for about ten years and he is only the age of my son, 40, but when I talk to him I feel more at ease than when talking to my son, yea, you guessed it, he is not into discus. So it must be that keeping discus stops you from getting old :)
Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

#13 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

When you have 100 tanks in the basement and 5 ponds in your yard you don't have time to get old. Believe me I know. There is always another fish that catches your interest.

#14 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

When you have 100 tanks in the basement and 5 ponds in your yard you don't have time to get old. Believe me I know. There is always another fish that catches your interest.

What happens with the ponds in the winter:)
Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

#15 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I only shut off the filters and add an air stone in one corner to allow methane gas to escape and let them rest until spring. They are the most comfortable when the ponds have a covering of ice. My koi pond is 42 inches deep and the goldfish pond is 36 inches deep. Shallow ponds that are only 12 inches get a plastic greenhouse style cover and can still winter small koi and goldfish in them along with Gold Medaka Rice fish and Gold Dojo weather Loaches.

#16 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

How cold does it get in winters at Burlington, does it go down to - 30C ?
Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

#17 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

I dosn't get that cold here most winters as Lake Ontario never freezes and helps moderate our temperatures. Some winters I does drop to -25C for a night or two. It was such a warm winter this year that the ponds remained fully open most of the winter. I only had to shovel a bit of snow twice. This has been the mildest winter on record.

#18 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi.
Some pics from my engineroom, not to tidy, but it works for me. Been my hideaway for 25 yrs.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0135.jpg
  • DSCN0136.jpg
  • DSCN0137.jpg

Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

#19 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

A very nice room and I see some nice looking discus as well. The first discus I spawned were Heckels I didn't even know they were special as I had them given to me.

#20 kaihan

kaihan

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

The first discus I spawned were Heckels I didn't even know they were special as I had them given to me.

Never had heckels, probably the only veriety that I've never had in my posession. Have had and bred all the other wild ones, but the water recuirement the Heckel demands has been enough for me to stear clear of them

I think we need to revert back to plecos otherwise we vill end up getting barred from this site.
Just one question, why does the english speaking world call a Hypacistrus for a Pleco ??, shurely, a pleco is a Plecostromus.
Something other comes to mind, in England they call a Hoover vacum cleaner for hoover, but they call all the other brands for hoover as well ???.
Cheers, Kai

www.discuspagenorway.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users