Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Feeding New Life Spectrum food to Plecos, Panaque and wood

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I have read some enquiries abt feeding your plecos with NLS food. There are even more concerns abt feeding your Panaque with NLS food. I would like to share some of my views here based on my personal experience.

Since May 2008, I have started to feed all my plecos mainly with NLS food and only feed them some cucumbers once a week or once every 2 weeks. I stopped feeding them any vegetables for over 2 yrs now and feed them exclusively with NLS food (both pellets & wafers). I do not have only a few plecos but have a lot at any time. Sample size is not small at all. I usually feed the smaller ones like my small pseudas, zebras with 0.5mm pellets and feed 1mm/2mm/3mm pellets to the other bigger ones during the day. Most of them will come out to eat and I can see most of my plecos a lot during the day. At nite time, I will put a couple of NLS wafers into each tank before I turn off the nite. All my plecos are growing up fast and they are in good health.

To be continued............................

#2 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Continued from above

I have also conducted tests on Panaque, wood and NLS food. I have a couple of tanks with different sizes of Panaque inside them but without a sinlge piece of wood there. I keep feeding them only NLS food like all my other plecos. The 8" Panaque L27 that I have posted its pics recently has been living in a 120G tank with no wood inside for close to 3 yrs now and is fed only by NLS. You can tell its conditions by looking at the pics that I posted- a nice looking specimen. Many people may be surprised to hear that Panaque can live in great shape even without a single pc of wood in the tank. However, this is my own personal experience over the years.

Panaque living with wood- a good choice as they have hiding places and something to chew on GOOD set-up
Panaque living without wood- Perfectly ok as long as they have a good diet, with rocks as hiding places

To be continued............

#3 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Contined from above-

Let me tell u something more abt NLS food. Yes, they are relatively high in proteins, especially my favourite 0.5mm Grow. However, they are all highly digestible and are suitable for all kinds of fish/plecos including carnivore, omnivore & herbivore. I don't know whether you are familiar with the Tropheus from Lake Tanganyika in Africa. These beautiful tropheus are vegetable eaters and they have great difficulty in dealing with high proteins foods. If they eat meaty food, they will die quickly from BLOAT. However, NLS is one of the best food for Tropheus and lots of people including myself are using them to feed their tropheus. NLS is extremely safe for these vegetables eaters and will do equally well for any Panaque pleco.

Based on my personal experience, NLS is one of the best food for plecos of all kinds. You are welcome to visit my office and to see how my plecos respond when I put in some NLS into the tanks. You will see all my plecos are coming out eagerly to eat even during the day!!! Some people are complaining that they can hardly see their beloved plecos, but this is certainly not in my case.

#4 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

i use NLS grow in all my pleco tanks as well as NLS thera a. I feed this at least a few times a week and they seem to really like it. other days are a mix of kens food and now repashy super foods. Variety is a very good thing for our fish.

as far as NLS goes i'm pretty sure Kam's prices are about the best around... at least from what I've seen. Thats where mine came from :)

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#5 jvision

jvision

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

This week is the first week in years that I haven't fed NLS exclusively (except for the odd zucchini), and I totally concur that plecos (vegetarian, omnivorous, and carnivorous) LOVE it! This week, I am trying Repashy, exclusively. From the way I'm going thru it, I may have to cut back a bit, or I'll break the bank on food - the fish LOVE that stuff, too!

Jason M.
125g: Tanganykans w. Syno. multipunctatus
75g: ABN Grow-out, Long-fin Cory. paleatus
35g: ABN Breeders, Cory. triliniatus, Cory aeneus
90g: Mbuna w. WC L349 Breeders
45g: L34 pair, P. changae breeders
35g: Hypancistrus angelicus
33g: Mbuna, ABN, L349 Grow-out

#6 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

Tks Rich. Yes, I am selling NLS at prices much much cheaper than LFS, making this hobby more affordable!!!!!

#7 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have played with various methods. Just dried food. Just veggies/raw foods. Both at different %. So it really depends on what the goal is. If the goal is to have the fish at their VERY best, I think feeding the fish 100% with real veggies, raw food (shimp, fish, meal worms) really does bring the best colour, look..etc. The fish look "happy" when they are on that veggie. I actually have seen my panaques jumping for pieces of fish and shrimp even with veggies in front of them. It doesn't make sense to me in the amazon where tons of dead fish, bugs and other sources of protein are always dropping they would pass that up. Clearly, the fish after thousands of years of evolution do eat meat/protein as an add on to their veggie diet. However, after a few months just doing the "organic" way (just real food), it is simply not practical. Yes, the fish are super happy, but my wife and my back said no more. The cleaning required to keep the tank clean is just not practical unless you really have nothing else to do. So I now do I would say 80% dried food (Ken's food, NLS) and 20% veggies (maybe once every 1-2 weeks). I think as long as there is allot of wood (so the panaques can get their fibre/bulk in their stomachs) and the odd veggie I think they are fine. They also get the odd meal worm that my aro drops. Basically, I am saying it depends on the context of your goal/time you can put in.

#8 kaban

kaban

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Just tried H2O stable Wafers from NLS. That's the only brand basically ignored by all my plecs. True, they don't disintegrate easily, but so what if I have to clean it up anyway. It says there's garlic in it and my plecs are nuts for gralic, but not in this case. Anybody similar experience? Expiry date is Jun2014, came sealed.

#9 jackson

jackson

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

H20 by NLS is not a favored food at all IME.
My pleco even hypostomus just ignored them.
I'll never use them again

The mega fish formula is awesome and all my fish go insane over it. My turtles love it as well.

#10 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

I tried the H20 NLS a number of years ago and found that my fish refused to eat it. I have never bought any of their products since as I assumed that they would all be the same.

#11 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

My plecos pretty much just get the there a. They love it. It depends what u mean by refuse. If they are hungry they will eat eventually

#12 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

New Life Spectrum is not a new food brand but a int'l well known brand. Also used by plecos breeders in the USA. Goggle for its feedbacks and you will see tons of positive feedbacks. When you change a diet to yr pleco, it always take time for them to adapt to it. They will fall in love with NLS very soon just like all my plecos!!!

#13 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

NLS is now available for sale in Asia and Europe too.

#14 kaban

kaban

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

My plecos pretty much just get the there a. They love it. It depends what u mean by refuse. If they are hungry they will eat eventually

That's what I thought before. Here's the thing about hunger: three days in row, all they got are these wafers. Not even touched. I don't really feel like starving them.

#15 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

3 days is not long dude.

#16 jackson

jackson

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

I've tried with the H2O for a month in between veggies not one was touched. To me that's a food that is not ever going to be accepted by my fish. Plus if turtles don't care for it you know it's useless.

#17 kaban

kaban

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

3 days is not long dude.

One may say so. If you had to pull untouched wafers every day, you might say otherwise. Anyway, do you suggest to keep going? I can tell, if they like something: they're on it before it hits the gravel.

#18 carkichi

carkichi

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

I have no problem with the wafer....I feed them along with other NLS and Ken sticks in combo. I also introduced to one of my Columbian fish importer to NLS growth and Ken's sticks. The newly arrived wc pleco/discus took the food immediately.

#19 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Took these 2 pics yesteday when I fed my pair of L14s with H2O wafers. It usually takes only a few seconds for them to grap the wafers into their mouth.

Attached Thumbnails

• 485(resize).jpg
  • 479(resize).jpg

#20 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

No way if u don't feed for a month they won't eat wafers. By a month they will eat a shoe. I use to feed wafers but I found they sometimes made a mess as some is left un eaten or the plecos fight for it. That's why I like the 1mm there a, everyone gets some and no mess. Royals love it. With wood and occasional veggies I think it's fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users