Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Customizing Repashy ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chouin

Chouin

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering about customizing the Repashy food to my taste :P

The Soilent Green look good for panaque, but is missing one important ingredient : wood.

I was thinking of adding wood to the powder. Maybe 1/4 wood and 3/4 Repashy powder, i may fall appart if I put to much wood ?
I won't be using piece of wood, but dust, I have some small malaysian drifwood pieces that I don't use, I will use a saw or drill to make some dust.
I also have the wood I use for the fire, I think it is maple tree, ok, I know it can't be found in their environnement, but could I use this kind of wood ?

Let me know what you think of this idea ?
Similar to the Kensfish pellet with wood in it I think.

Cheers ! Chouin

125g: L007, 3x L24, 3x L114, 2x L160, L190, 2x Adonis

125g : 3x L25, L81, 2x L114, 2x L160, L200

125g : Mega Barrae, 3x L24, L106, L177, 2x L273 Yellow, 3x L273 red, L425, L600

75g: 
50g: 2x L160, L257, 4x LDA33
Montreal (Quebec)

#2 animeavatar

animeavatar

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

I know you can put the stuff on driftwood and let it dry. Youtube the Repashy superfoods for fish.

#3 jvision

jvision

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

I've seen the YouTube vid of the guy putting it on wood for grazers, as well as on porcelain tile for spot feeding.

I just made my first batch using an ice cube try for moulds. I ripped up one cube of Soilent Green in my 120. I'm thinking that cutting it w. a sharp knife might be the way to go b/c my tank is a bit cloudy now - thinking that it's easy for fine bits of Repashy to come dislodged on the tear.
The tank has L128 and L91 along w. some Rainbows (M. praecox) and some Ammano shrimp. So far w. lights on, it's got the shrimp out and the rainbows chowing down at the bottom of the tank. I was hoping it'd bring the plecos out. I see a lot of action in the shadows, but nobody is coming out into the open for it, yet.

Jason M.
125g: Tanganykans w. Syno. multipunctatus
75g: ABN Grow-out, Long-fin Cory. paleatus
35g: ABN Breeders, Cory. triliniatus, Cory aeneus
90g: Mbuna w. WC L349 Breeders
45g: L34 pair, P. changae breeders
35g: Hypancistrus angelicus
33g: Mbuna, ABN, L349 Grow-out

#4 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:53 AM

I don't think adding wood would be necessary, they are chewing on driftwood all day and night long in your tank.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#5 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2059 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

As long as the plecos have wood to chew on I can't see that it has to be in all their food.

#6 Allen Repashy

Allen Repashy

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

duplicate post

#7 Allen Repashy

Allen Repashy

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would join the forums and chime in here and there. I look forward to reading your experiences with the products. My products are never finished and I tweak here and there as I get real world feedback.

As far as Panaque goes. I actually have formulated a specific diet for them based on correspondence with Stephan Tanner. I am going to be sending him some samples next week to play around with. I also just am not sure if there is enough Panaque keepers out there to validate a specific product with such a limited market..... but I do enjoy solving problems, so we will see where it goes.

I have read quite a few papers on Panaque Diet while researching their requirements.

Here a few available online.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2762538/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2762535/

http://german.bio.uc...K_response.html

My conclusions from researching this are mixed, and the big question seems to be are they eating the wood because there is something in it they need, or are they eating the micro-organisms living on and within the wood that break it down... I believe this is the case, but it is possible that without some wood in the diet, that they aren't going to get any of this stuff...... so the question is, do they need it? ..... without having a firm answer, I err to the safe side and take the point of view that if we can provide this along with good nutrition, then we are covering our bases as much as we can........

When we break down wood, the primary component is cellulose. Cellulose in my opinion is either what the fish need directly, or what the micro-organisms that feed on the wood need.... which in turn are feeding our plecos.....

The articles indeed show that the Panaque have no problem passing tons of cellulose through their system. So in my opinion, there is no downside to including it in their diet other than the way it effects the nutrient density of the formula.

I happen to use a fine wood cellulose flour as a carrier in some of my reptile supplements, so what I have formulated is similar to the soilent green, but with about 25% fine wood cellulose, and one other important difference. I basically doubled up one of the gelling agents (not the quick set part) so that when you make a one cup block of the stuff, it will basically come out like a hockey puck..... meaning really firm. the cellulose helps bond the block together, so it's contribution to the formula does more than just provide "wood"

This should do a couple things..... first, prevent them from shredding it to pieces quickly, and secondly, by doing so, promote the colonization of micro-organisms similar to what happens to a piece of wood. (obviously it isn't going to last that long)

Anyways, that is the theory. I welcome your feedback and will let you know how development goes.

I do already have a name for the product.... a bit over the top though :)

Attached Thumbnails

• morning wood.jpg

#8 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

LOVE the name!

And welcome, very nice to see you here looking for feedback and helping everyone on such a personal level.

There are for sure a few panaque lovers here that would really like this food you are working on.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#9 Chouin

Chouin

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

Welcome to the forum !

I received my order today, I should be able to try my first batch tomorrow.
When I will have more time, I will try the Soilent Green with wood in it for my panaque, I will let you know the result.

Cheers ! Chouin

125g: L007, 3x L24, 3x L114, 2x L160, L190, 2x Adonis

125g : 3x L25, L81, 2x L114, 2x L160, L200

125g : Mega Barrae, 3x L24, L106, L177, 2x L273 Yellow, 3x L273 red, L425, L600

75g: 
50g: 2x L160, L257, 4x LDA33
Montreal (Quebec)

#10 Devante

Devante

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I just created my first set using an ice dice try for fits. I attractive up one dice of Soilent Natural in my 120. I'm considering that reducing it w. a distinct blade might be the way to go b/c my reservoir is a bit gloomy now - considering that it's possible for excellent pieces of Repashy to come dislodged on the split.

#11 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

hahaha great name! thanks for coming on the forum and talking to us pleco freaks Allen. One of the fave foods my panaque and veggie loving plecos ever had was the Sera catfish chips. contained willow and alder, spinach, wheat germ etc. I like that you're making pleco food that is more firm than it was in the past. To be honest as soon as my adonis or larger L191 started chowing down on the soilent green they made more mess than they ate. These are the same fish that rasp very heavily on firm unblanched veggies like sweet potatoes and broccoli stems. People who own large panaque can confirm, the big guys leave alot of sawdust behind.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users