Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

L47 Mango Plecos at Big Als in Scarborough

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fishpedagogue

fishpedagogue

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

I was at Big Al's in Scarborough yesterday and picked up a medium sized L47 pleco. I just love mango plecos. They have 3 sizes available

Medium 3.5" - approx. $60

Large 6" - approx. $90

XL - 9" - $120

They all appeared to be in good shape.

#2 Rush2112

Rush2112

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:34 AM

You have a PM.

#3 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

yep i was there today, one of the mediums had some stress colouration but the big guys looked really healthy

#4 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

just to add, they also had some 4-5in vampires, a sultan, some really small sabaji and some small L015 candy stripe. I always go in there and bargain, they are way over priced, ask for the freshwater manger, tell him you're a pleco enthusiast and you can get 5-10 bucks knocked off.

#5 fishpedagogue

fishpedagogue

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

yep i was there today, one of the mediums had some stress colouration but the big guys looked really healthy

Thanks for the advice on bargaining. I must say for a Big Al's they had a few nice plecos in there. I would agree with you a few mediums didn't look the best. The XL specimens for $120 were awesome looking and extremely healthy.

#6 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

yep, im always tempted when I see a big mango plec, as I had one many years ago. big eaters with lots of personality and great colouration.

#7 fishpedagogue

fishpedagogue

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, just lost mine today. I have terrible luck with the L47's.

#8 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3023 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Dont feel bad, they can be tough to get acclimatized properly. They do best in their own tank for a few months at high temps (88) where you can monitor their food intake (if they are actually eating). From there you can bring the temp down after a few weeks to low 80's and after at least a month to 6 weeks move onto your community tank. After this they should be quite stable.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#9 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

sorry to hear you lost him, they've still got the biggest one at big als, but he doesnt look happy being housed with a bunch of rays....yeah the only barys I've had luck with over the years were gold nuggets. I lost my large mango too, he got beat up at the fish store and by the guys he was housed with, I dont think they are very good at defending their turf/fighting for food. IMO they like alot of current too

#10 jackson

jackson

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I seen these fish a few weeks back all of them looked ill and a few were dead in the tanks in the middle section with the community fish.

Big al's NY had a 10"+ l-26 that disappeared 2 hrs after going in the tank lol I don't think they found it. They also had these vampires that came from Tocantins extremely black with really small scattered white spots. They looked ill as well. It was a shame they looked so sick because they're a very nice looking fish.

#11 fishpedagogue

fishpedagogue

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Dont feel bad, they can be tough to get acclimatized properly. They do best in their own tank for a few months at high temps (88) where you can monitor their food intake (if they are actually eating). From there you can bring the temp down after a few weeks to low 80's and after at least a month to 6 weeks move onto your community tank. After this they should be quite stable.

Thanks for the advice CanadaPleco and others. Mangos are one of my favorites. However, I have never had long term success with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users