Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Crossing the Border into Canada

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 upc239

upc239

CP Donator

• CanadaPleco Donator
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hi,

Im getting some plecos in, and will be shipped to a Kinek Border address, just across the border in the states. The U.S. seller only wanted to ship in the states, and the US Kinek shipping point is just 45 minutes from me. Do you the think the border agency will give me a hard time on my way back to Canada?

First time im trying this....

Thanks
L007, L014, L015, L018, L46, L048, L066, L075, L091, L114, L129, L134, L168, L190, L200, L201, L205, L206, L240, L318/401, L330, L333, LDA031

#2 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:22 AM

I don't think they will deliberately give u hard time but in some occasions when they are not sure what u are bringing into Canada, you may have to wait at the border for a long time when they call CFIA or even Wild Life for assistance.

#3 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1978 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

They are only mainly interested in the dollar value of what you are bringing into the country. You should have a printed email receipt from the seller as to what you paid incase it is asked for. You are allowed $50.00 on a day visit. You may be sent in to pay HST.

You may have no problems or you could get an A hole. If asked what you are going to do with them say they are going in your tank for you to enjoy. I know a fellow that answered that he was going to breed them and sell the fry. That made it a commercial effort and he was refused entry with them. I take my wife along tell them I am going shopping when I go over and tell them the same coming back. They then only ask the dollar value. The fish are usually ok in a coolerbag while you shop a few hours. My wife usually buys something at Khols a clothing store.

#4 tobalman

tobalman

CP Donator

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

I just print out a similar fish from aquabid so they can see the price as well at the name and I bring my plecos book so they can cross reference. That's it.

#5 RescuePenguin

RescuePenguin

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

There are new rules regarding imports. My wife and I have 1100 fish enroute from Peru to Vancouver (as I type this the plane is half way along its route from Peru to Toronto). The Calgary branch of the CFIA deals with the permits. If the fish are on this list you will need a permit. If no they are not, be prepared to answer the questions on the application for the permit.

For our import we just filled out the application then printed it. We do have a smaller import 20 fish of 2 species being shipped to Blaine,WA. I will report back on the experience when they arrive.

The main questions are as follows: Are they wild caught or captive bred, exporter name and info , importer name and info, quantity and what you intend to do with the fish.

Steve

#6 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 1978 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Importing fish for resale means permits and has different rules. Bringing a few fish in for your own enjoyment from the USA is no problem unless it is on the red list. I have never had a problem bringing fish across. Just don't try and get fancy with latin names. Only say you bought a few little fish for your aquarium and they say have a nice day.

#7 RescuePenguin

RescuePenguin

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I hope that remains the case. I really don't think the CBSA would be able to handle the new rules. I do plan to be prepared just in case.

Steve

Importing fish for resale means permits and has different rules. Bringing a few fish in for your own enjoyment from the USA is no problem unless it is on the red list. I have never had a problem bringing fish across. Just don't try and get fancy with latin names. Only say you bought a few little fish for your aquarium and they say have a nice day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users