Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

L600 Sexing and fish sleep

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi,

Wanted some help from you guys sexing 3 L600s that I have. One is about 11", another is about 7-8" and another is about 6".

Another issue I wish to throw out there. Has anyone thrown in one tank a bunch of plecos and small cichlids? In one 90G tank I have about 15 plecos and put about 30 cichilids fry a few months ago. For a while it was fine, the cichilids grew fast, and then suddenly a few started dying every few days once they reached a certain size. Thought it was the water, changed it and tested it - fine. Thought might be bug so used meds, still didn't work. Pleco's are fine, eating allot and generally look happy.

What I suspect it could be is it seems the cichilids although they are a hardy fish are a "day" fish. When the lights are on, they like to swim allot, but once the lights are off they want to go to "sleep" and like to snuggle to the bottom of the tank. However, when the lights go off, the plecos go nuts and fly everywhere - and stress out the cichilids, and they just get exhausted and die. That is the only thing I can think of. Thinking of taking the rest out. What do you guys think? Stupid? Cichilids are a very hardy fish, stronger than plecos, no idea other than that why they would be dying...

Thanks, Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0060.jpg
  • DSC_0066.jpg
  • DSC_0061.jpg

#2 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3035 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Impossible to sex from those pictures :( You need to catch them and put them in a white bucket or bin or something and get overhead shots.

I am willing to bet money that your pseudas are eating the cichlids when they are sleeping! This is quite common for large pseudas to do to sleeping fish, it is likely your 11" fish only. then once dead the others get in and eat the body.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#3 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

Thanks, yeah, the pics are not the greatest. Just a real pain in the butt to take a 11" L600 out. When I did move him to another tank I swear so much water was splashed everywhere my wife thought my tank exploded or something. Not worth it.

I decided to sell the big guy if anyone is interested and some other fish (posted on PNC). I got too many plecos. Went a little crazy with the whole pleco thing, decided to scale back. The bioload of these guys is pretty amazing.

Yeah, that is what I thought. However, some guys kept on telling me pleco's don't hunt - which I had doubts about. I am pretty sure at night they try and suck on "sleeping" fish, or just tire them out until the fish can't take it anymore.

#4 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3035 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thanks, yeah, the pics are not the greatest. Just a real pain in the butt to take a 11" L600 out. When I did move him to another tank I swear so much water was splashed everywhere my wife thought my tank exploded or something. Not worth it.

I decided to sell the big guy if anyone is interested and some other fish (posted on PNC). I got too many plecos. Went a little crazy with the whole pleco thing, decided to scale back. The bioload of these guys is pretty amazing.

Yeah, that is what I thought. However, some guys kept on telling me pleco's don't hunt - which I had doubts about. I am pretty sure at night they try and suck on "sleeping" fish, or just tire them out until the fish can't take it anymore.

Large pseuda DO HUNT and WILL eat other fish at night.

You should post your pleco for sale here as well :)

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users