Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Hi from Barrie, ON!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MsGardeness

MsGardeness

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

Okay I admit I'm new to Plecos and know nothing about them. But I do know I love the appearance of the Albino Longfin Bushy-nosed Plecos (is that ALF BN's?)! So I want to learn all I can about them and now I'm seeing others too before I jump in with both feet.

I have a 20g FW running since December '09 and it's doing fine with Guppies, 3 Angels, 1 CAE, 1 Peacock Gudgeon. I am working at getting a (second hand) 80g up and running soon - course I'll cycle it before any livestock go in.

Curiosity question to get myself started: what on earth are the L numbers all about? I've looked through the FAQ and saw the names in general but I must have missed the info on those L numbers. And where is a good place to get started reading and learning all about these awesome critters?

Anyway - HI to all!! :biggrin:

#2 Altum Nut

Altum Nut

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

Greetings and welcome on board MsGardenes,

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong....but the L# is strictly to identify a particular pleco. There are a number of indentified plecos species in one family eg....Ancistrus family.... but the L# narrows the particular pleco. and in many cases were starting to realize that more than one L# is the same fish.
As for information.....there are various pleco sites that Rich (CanadaPleco) has posted as links which can give you a great deal of info to get what you want for what you have to offer the plecos of your choice.
O and by the way......did I forget to mention you are entering a forum of addicted pleco nuts.
So have fun absorbing all needed info and don't be shy to pop a question or concern as this forum has a great bunch of guys and gals.

...Ralph

#3 Pamelajo

Pamelajo

CP Donator

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi and welcome Ms. Gardeness,
I have kept albino lf bns also for a few years, and love them. I am not big on long fins on all fish, but love lf plecos. I have been a member here for awhile but only recently started really hanging out and everyone has been great.

#4 MsGardeness

MsGardeness

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Ralph and Pamela - I appreciate the warm welcomes and love both your avatars - very nice! Right now, in addition to the 20g FW tank, I have 4 parrots plus close to 100 finches, 3 dogs and 2 cats which take up a lot of my time. I'm really anxious to get the 80g up and cycling soon. Hopefully by the end of May I can start stocking it.

#5 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi and welcome to the world of plecos. If you want to see pictures of all the L numbers and become totally addicted and confused then explore this site as it has all the pictures and information on all catfish species. http://www.planetcatfish.com/

Charlie

#6 MsGardeness

MsGardeness

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi and thanks Charlie. I'll check the link out shortly... these Pleco's seem to come in so many different colourings - it's amazing! I thought they were just 'brown' before stopping and actually looking at them. :banghead: They are really beautiful! :kiss:

#7 Romulous

Romulous

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

hello and welcome and sounds like we have another convert folks !!!!! hehehe

#8 Jkhuu

Jkhuu

CP Donator

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Welcome aboard !! I think we are all new in one way or another as far as pleco goes. There's just so much to learn about them. I quickly realized that not all of pleco will clean algae off your tank. We'll atleast for fat and lazy ones I have :secretsmile:

#9 MsGardeness

MsGardeness

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Romulous and Jkhuu! Sounds like this could be a fun ride... learning all about Plecos!

#10 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

welcome to the addiction :secretsmile:

#11 Catsaholic

Catsaholic

CP Donator

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

Run away while you can! LOL, I'm not serious, well not completely serious. It's a beautiful addiction. From personal experience - your dogs may become jealous.

#12 MsGardeness

MsGardeness

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

LOL - thanks Jimmy and Catsaholic! My dogs are already jealous of my birds! The more I read and see of Pleco's the more I'm getting to like this!

#13 Fishfanatic

Fishfanatic

CP Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:39 AM

welcome to the board....you will meet many wonderful and knowledgeable people here!! :)

#14 MsGardeness

MsGardeness

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thanks fishfanatic. That's very true and many have already been so helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users