Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Spawning L-071

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bwhiskered

Bwhiskered

CP Donator

• Members
  • 2031 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

Spawning the L-071 Pleco
By Charles Drew

This beautiful black bushynose pleco with small bright white spots has caused me much research and confusion. I bought three on Aquabid and then two more at The Fish Place in North Tonawanda. They were all being sold as the much sought after L-184. However the L-184 has fewer and larger spots. After much debate as too their real identity and posting their pictures on various forums I have come to the conclusion that the German experts that identified them as L-071 are correct. Planet Catfish however should update information as to size and what has been bred as more and more there is information that is not always correct or does not agree with information in Aqualog. I have found Aqualog sizes given are more accurate.

The L-071 comes from the Tapajos River and its tributaries. It is a beautiful black bushynose pleco with bright white spots. The males develop a nice head growth of whiskers and even the females develop a few small ones around the mouth. They grow to the four inch size range making them desirable for most aquariums. The adults eat algae and vegetables as well as pellets and most dry foods. They also like a bit more meat in their diet than some species in the form of shrimp and blood worms.

I received my three mature adults in late April 2009. They were advertised as a trio but came as a reverse trio of two males and one female instead. I settled them into a fifteen gallon tank with a sand bottom some driftwood and caves. About mid June they spawned and after a couple of days the male kicked out the eggs. Most were white but there were still a few good ones left so I sorted and separated them from the bad and placed them in an egg tumbler with soft peat water and a drop of acriflavine. I got seven to hatch and have raised six to the three inch size. I had another couple of spawnings over the summer but they were eaten. October rolled around and I was able to salvage another spawning. The eggs are very large and very sensitive and there are usually about 25 eggs in a spawning. Again I had to separate the good from the bad and hatched them in a tumbler. The hatch was better this time and I now have 11 fry 1-1/2” long. Since then I also have another small spawning.

Once the fry have reached the stage of ready to feed they are easy to raise either in a tank of their own or in with my blue ram fry. They like the 85 degree water and the live baby brine shrimp and only go for other foods after they get older. This is a beautiful and hard to find Ancistrus species and is sure to be a great addition to an aquarium.

#2 Jkhuu

Jkhuu

CP Donator

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Very nice Charlie. Appreciate the article very much !!!

#3 Rush2112

Rush2112

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

Charlie
Thanks again for sharing your experience.

PM sent
Gino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users