Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Panaque L330 & L191 Diet

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3039 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I have tried them with bigger panaque and Hypostomus (L190 and L137). They make a mess no matter what you feed, but it's a lot better than feeding yams or zucchini. One thing I've had a lot of problems with is the Repashy getting mouldy. You do have to be careful of that, and make smaller batches or freeze them. I think I lost an L273 because of it.

strange, ive never had it go mouldy in the fridge, even after a month.

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#22 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

strange, ive never had it go mouldy in the fridge, even after a month.

In my case it was less than 3 weeks. Could be a humidity thing as several people out here on the west coast have had that problem. Now I make it, leave out 1 weeks worth and freeze the rest and no problems. But it an expensive lesson. That was the Soilent Green by the way.
How many addictions can I have without overload?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#23 kkaamm

kkaamm

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

I have tried them with bigger panaque and Hypostomus (L190 and L137). They make a mess no matter what you feed, but it's a lot better than feeding yams or zucchini. One thing I've had a lot of problems with is the Repashy getting mouldy. You do have to be careful of that, and make smaller batches or freeze them. I think I lost an L273 because of it.

I don't have any problem with feeding my bigger panaque or other big plecos at all, never have any mess. Maybe you should try feeding NLS Wafers/pellets.

#24 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

I don't have any problem with feeding my bigger panaque or other big plecos at all, never have any mess. Maybe you should try feeding NLS Wafers/pellets.

I used to feed with those but now I used Xtreme Catfish scrapers. Was less mess and the plecos like them better.

There's a lot of fine particles in the water. And when the piece gets small, it gets into the water column (I use screwcumbers). I guess it's one's definition of "mess". I'm used to a tank which has very little particulates floating around, which, in my experience, is impossible for a few hours after feeding time in a pleco tank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 kkaamm

kkaamm

Adult Pleco

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

I used to feed with those but now I used Xtreme Catfish scrapers. Was less mess and the plecos like them better.

There's a lot of fine particles in the water. And when the piece gets small, it gets into the water column (I use screwcumbers). I guess it's one's definition of "mess". I'm used to a tank which has very little particulates floating around, which, in my experience, is impossible for a few hours after feeding time in a pleco tank.

Never tried Xtreme Catfish scrapers before. In my own experience, I have little problem with particles floating inside the water for a long time after feeding time. Usually the water becomes very clear again abt 15 minutes after feeding, or even less. It also depends on whether you have a bare bottom tanks or one with lots of substrates as well as filtration system used. The only problem that I have is when I feed my plecos with cucumbers or other vegetables, and this a when a mess will occur. That's the reason why I have stopped feeding vegetables to any of my plecos for yrs. I can't afford the time to clean up or the patience to wait for the water to clear up as I hv over 30 tanks of plecos!!!!!

#26 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Right. I should have explained myself. I only have 5 tanks, but all of them are fully scaped and planted. 2 of them are CO2 injected so yeah, lots of debris traps. I can't help myself, I like to feed them veggies and I like planted and scaped tanks with substrate. :P So I have a lot of work to clean up the tanks. Typically I feed veggies the night before my 2x a week water changes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I love panaques, and have done various things. From feeding only all veggies/sweet potatoes, to now only dry food, soft wood - and the very odd sweet potatoe before a big tank clean.

Allot of guys say meat/protein food will kill panaques, but when you think about it, in the wild with all the protein found in the water from insects, dead fish, dead animals..etc..etc. I highly doubt a panaque will not stop by and eat some. These fish are scavangers. I have seen my panques go for meal worms and shrimp when it drops from my arowana's mouth. I think the key is they have allot of soft wood for them to munch on.

The veggie thing...I just think its just so damn messy, and can cause trouble in terms of a bacteria breakout. When I was feeding veggies all day, I was literally cleaning the tank every day. I had to clean the filters like every week. Too much work, and the more tinkering you do with a tank/water I find it just lets more problems come out.

I feed dry food (NLS) and I think its fine.

#28 jimmy chonga

jimmy chonga

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I used to feed veggies more often, now its only once every two weeks, and the night before a good water change and gravel filtering. My L191 and my adonis attack the veggies the most, I usually feed zucchini, I like sweet potato better as it lasts longer in the water.

For dry food I feed a mix of hikari and NLS wafers

#29 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

My bigger L25s love veggies as well, especially zuchini.

With royals, my best advice is to go bare tank as well. I have a big thunder and smaller l27 in a 210G, and the amount of wood poo that is there every morning is a decent scoop in my small net. Everyday. If I had substrate, it would be a pain to clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users