Follow us on...
Home
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
Photo
- - - - -

Panaque L330 & L191 Diet

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:59 AM

This is taken from TFH Magazine.

Dietary Items by Volume

Wood - 25%
Other vegetal material (plant remains fruits & seeds) 7.5%
Sediment (includes mud and sand) 50%
Organic matter (detritus) 13%
Insect larvae (Beetles, caddisflies), insect parts (not further classified) and invertebrate eggs 4.5%

Dietary Items by Frequency
(presented a bit more generalised)

Vegetal material (which would include wood) 27.3%
Sediment 27.3%
Organic matter 27.3%
Insect material (all forms) 15%
Other items (not identified) 3%

Rich

BreakthruDesigns.ca - Chainsaw Carvings by Rich
CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#2 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:27 AM

Wow....mud 50% percent? Really?

#3 Marowana

Marowana

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

my big L330 is addicted to superworms, he steals them from my clown loaches. knowing it is not a proper diet, i moved him to my grow out, the only tank without SW feeding. now, i'm wondering if the large amounts of NLS grow is good for him.

NLS grow has 50% protein and 9% fat

Thanks

#4 impalass

impalass

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

Years ago I switched to HBH Algae Grazers, their main ingredient is Spirulina Algae. Grew out some large Panaques on these with zucchini and sweet potaoe.
To date HBH Grazers (waffers) has the highest veggie content of all the companies.

#5 Marowana

Marowana

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. i'll give HBH a try once i'm done the food i have. i do feed him all he foods he needs (wood, waffers etc.), but my problem is the my 330 eats alot of his tankmates' food as well.

did anyones' panaque get sick from NLS grow?

#6 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

NLS and other high protien food will kill your panaques over time. They cannot digest it properly.

Rich

CanadaPleco.com - Our Plecos Suck Harder - Canadian Forums for Pleco Enthusiasts

emailsig.png

#7 Marowana

Marowana

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:23 AM

gotta set up another tank then. thanks

#8 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Just read this thread. So feeding Panaques dried food like NLS wafers is not recommended?

#9 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

waffers are fine, just make sure they are not too high in protein. It will make them grow faster but long run be very bad for their health.

Rich

emailsig.png

#10 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the tip. I do notice when I throw in the veg in there, the panaques "look" better. More fuller and more active. Does create a mess tho. Do you guy know if there is anything on the market that is a mechanical (user power) to clean gravel? Right now I use a gravel cleaner you got to hook up to the tap.

#11 jvision

jvision

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Do you guy know if there is anything on the market that is a mechanical (user power) to clean gravel? Right now I use a gravel cleaner you got to hook up to the tap.

Back in the day, there was an attachment to add to a diatom filter that power vacuumed grave. I tried it a few times and it worked OK, but I only had a mini model and took quite a while. I would have prefered something that wouldn't take 10min for a 90gal.

Jason M.
125g: Tanganykans w. Syno. multipunctatus
75g: ABN Grow-out, Long-fin Cory. paleatus
35g: ABN Breeders, Cory. triliniatus, Cory aeneus
90g: Mbuna w. WC L349 Breeders
45g: L34 pair, P. changae breeders
35g: Hypancistrus angelicus
33g: Mbuna, ABN, L349 Grow-out

#12 Yam

Yam

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

I was reading about the Eheim Gravel battery powered one....anyone has used this? I got tons of panaques...it is starting to be a pain using the regular gravel cleaner. Someone has to invent something this like a house vacuam.

#13 JLake

JLake

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

So my L191 is not suited to be in with my L368s? Because the L368 like a meatier diet. I cant stop my L191 from eating the other plecos food. I also offer wafers which they eat readily.

#14 kkaamm

kkaamm

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

My suggestion is to feed your plecos with New Life Spectrum pellets/wafers. They are good even for vegetable eaters. I will write more on this subject- feeding NLS to your plecos- soon.

#15 Dis

Dis

Pleco Fry

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Do you guys feed your plecos every night? I found that since Im feeding regularly my snails in the tank have gotten out of control.

#16 JLake

JLake

Pleco Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

Haha yeah all my plecs eat nls wafers. My supplier makes sure they are all eating nls wafers before he sells em. makes it super easy on me

#17 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Do you guys feed your plecos every night? I found that since Im feeding regularly my snails in the tank have gotten out of control.

I only feed my fry and juvie pleco nightly. Some of my large pleco only a couple times a week.

Rich

emailsig.png

#18 cjerrom

cjerrom

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

This is why this site is so addictive- is the repashy brand really messy for large eaters such as the L330 and 191 - I have a few of these as XXL sizes. Just waiting on the order to arrive to try it out.

#19 CanadaPleco

CanadaPleco

Admin/Owner

• Administrators
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationMinden, ON

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I don't know if I have even tried it on the larger ones. Try mixing it with less water so it's firmer tho. All the little fish in the tank will quickly eat the little bits that do go flying for sure.

Rich

emailsig.png

#20 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2

Juvie Pleco

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have tried them with bigger panaque and Hypostomus (L190 and L137). They make a mess no matter what you feed, but it's a lot better than feeding yams or zucchini. One thing I've had a lot of problems with is the Repashy getting mouldy. You do have to be careful of that, and make smaller batches or freeze them. I think I lost an L273 because of it.
How many addictions can I have without overload?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users